Обсуждение: Restore database form button

Restore database form button

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
Could you change the OK button on the Restore database form to
Restore?  I still press OK even after restoring a database as I see
the log messages, and naturally assume OK will close the window.

Cheers

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: Restore database form button

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
Could you change the OK button on the Restore database form to
Restore?  I still press OK even after restoring a database as I see
the log messages, and naturally assume OK will close the window.

Actually, I've noticed the restore form isn't consistent with the backup form.  When a backup has completed, the OK button changes to Done.  Maybe the restore form should exhibit the same behaviour.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Restore database form button

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 29/10/2010 06:16, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 28 October 2010 13:57, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>
>> Could you change the OK button on the Restore database form to
>> Restore?  I still press OK even after restoring a database as I see
>> the log messages, and naturally assume OK will close the window.
>>

> Actually, I've noticed the restore form isn't consistent with the backup
> form.  When a backup has completed, the OK button changes to Done.  Maybe
> the restore form should exhibit the same behaviour.

And actually, it does. Did you do something specific for your restore?
(I didn't change anything in the restore dialog, so it could be a
specific option but I don't really see how that could be)

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Restore database form button

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 29/10/2010 06:16, Thom Brown a écrit :
>> On 28 October 2010 13:57, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Could you change the OK button on the Restore database form to
>>> Restore?  I still press OK even after restoring a database as I see
>>> the log messages, and naturally assume OK will close the window.
>>>

>> Actually, I've noticed the restore form isn't consistent with the backup
>> form.  When a backup has completed, the OK button changes to Done.  Maybe
>> the restore form should exhibit the same behaviour.
>>

> And actually, it does. Did you do something specific for your restore?
> (I didn't change anything in the restore dialog, so it could be a
> specific option but I don't really see how that could be)

Iirc, it stays as "Restore" if there's an error, as you might want to try again.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Restore database form button

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 29 October 2010 15:34, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
Le 29/10/2010 06:16, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 28 October 2010 13:57, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>
>> Could you change the OK button on the Restore database form to
>> Restore?  I still press OK even after restoring a database as I see
>> the log messages, and naturally assume OK will close the window.
>>

> Actually, I've noticed the restore form isn't consistent with the backup
> form.  When a backup has completed, the OK button changes to Done.  Maybe
> the restore form should exhibit the same behaviour.

And actually, it does. Did you do something specific for your restore?
(I didn't change anything in the restore dialog, so it could be a
specific option but I don't really see how that could be)

The scenario is using a custom backup (which happens to have the file extention .sql), using 4 jobs, and not changing any other options.  The messages from this restore shows:

WARNING: errors ignored on restore: 43

Process returned exit code 1.

All the warnings appear to be the result of attempting to set the owner of objects to a role which doesn't exist, but as it happens, I don't particularly care about that in this case.  After this, the OK button doesn't change to Restore or Done.  Just stays as OK.

Just retried it having created the role, and the button indeed changes to Done.

But at no point do I see a Restore button, which I'd like to see instead of OK.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Restore database form button

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 29/10/2010 07:47, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 29 October 2010 15:34, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> Actually, I've noticed the restore form isn't consistent with the backup
>>> form.  When a backup has completed, the OK button changes to Done.  Maybe
>>> the restore form should exhibit the same behaviour.
>>>

>> And actually, it does. Did you do something specific for your restore?
>> (I didn't change anything in the restore dialog, so it could be a
>> specific option but I don't really see how that could be)
>>

> The scenario is using a custom backup (which happens to have the file
> extention .sql), using 4 jobs, and not changing any other options.  The
> messages from this restore shows:
>
> WARNING: errors ignored on restore: 43
>
> Process returned exit code 1.
>
> All the warnings appear to be the result of attempting to set the owner of
> objects to a role which doesn't exist, but as it happens, I don't
> particularly care about that in this case.  After this, the OK button
> doesn't change to Restore or Done.  Just stays as OK.
>
> Just retried it having created the role, and the button indeed changes to
> Done.
>
> But at no point do I see a Restore button, which I'd like to see instead of
> OK.

If we do this, we need to do the same on the other dump/restore dialogs.
Dave, any objection? if no, I'll commit this patch. Oh, BTW, Thom, can
you test it?

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Вложения

Re: Restore database form button

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 30 October 2010 05:32, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
Le 29/10/2010 07:47, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 29 October 2010 15:34, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> Actually, I've noticed the restore form isn't consistent with the backup
>>> form.  When a backup has completed, the OK button changes to Done.  Maybe
>>> the restore form should exhibit the same behaviour.
>>>

>> And actually, it does. Did you do something specific for your restore?
>> (I didn't change anything in the restore dialog, so it could be a
>> specific option but I don't really see how that could be)
>>

> The scenario is using a custom backup (which happens to have the file
> extention .sql), using 4 jobs, and not changing any other options.  The
> messages from this restore shows:
>
> WARNING: errors ignored on restore: 43
>
> Process returned exit code 1.
>
> All the warnings appear to be the result of attempting to set the owner of
> objects to a role which doesn't exist, but as it happens, I don't
> particularly care about that in this case.  After this, the OK button
> doesn't change to Restore or Done.  Just stays as OK.
>
> Just retried it having created the role, and the button indeed changes to
> Done.
>
> But at no point do I see a Restore button, which I'd like to see instead of
> OK.

If we do this, we need to do the same on the other dump/restore dialogs.
Dave, any objection? if no, I'll commit this patch. Oh, BTW, Thom, can
you test it?

Hmm... getting whitespace errors even using --ignore-whitespace and a fully sync'd repo:

/home/thom/Downloads/0001-Change-the-label-of-the-OK-button.patch:36: trailing whitespace.
              <label>&amp;Dump</label>
/home/thom/Downloads/0001-Change-the-label-of-the-OK-button.patch:49: trailing whitespace.
              <label>&amp;Dump</label>
warning: 2 lines add whitespace errors.

Is there another git option I need to be using here?

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Restore database form button

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 30/10/2010 01:22, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 30 October 2010 05:32, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>
>> Le 29/10/2010 07:47, Thom Brown a écrit :

>> backup
>>  Maybe

>>> The scenario is using a custom backup (which happens to have the file
>>> extention .sql), using 4 jobs, and not changing any other options.  The
>>> messages from this restore shows:
>>>
>>> WARNING: errors ignored on restore: 43
>>>
>>> Process returned exit code 1.
>>>
>>> All the warnings appear to be the result of attempting to set the owner
>> of
>>> objects to a role which doesn't exist, but as it happens, I don't
>>> particularly care about that in this case.  After this, the OK button
>>> doesn't change to Restore or Done.  Just stays as OK.
>>>
>>> Just retried it having created the role, and the button indeed changes to
>>> Done.
>>>
>>> But at no point do I see a Restore button, which I'd like to see instead
>> of
>>> OK.
>>>

>> If we do this, we need to do the same on the other dump/restore dialogs.
>> Dave, any objection? if no, I'll commit this patch. Oh, BTW, Thom, can
>> you test it?
>>

> Hmm... getting whitespace errors even using --ignore-whitespace and a fully
> sync'd repo:
>
> /home/thom/Downloads/0001-Change-the-label-of-the-OK-button.patch:36:
> trailing whitespace.
>               <label>&Dump</label>
> /home/thom/Downloads/0001-Change-the-label-of-the-OK-button.patch:49:
> trailing whitespace.
>               <label>&Dump</label>
> warning: 2 lines add whitespace errors.
>
> Is there another git option I need to be using here?

Nope, these are only warnings. Actually, frmBackupGlobals.xrc and
frmBackupServer.xrc have DOS EOL, whereas they should have Unix EOL.

You can try this patch if you want.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Вложения

Re: Restore database form button

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> If we do this, we need to do the same on the other dump/restore dialogs.
> Dave, any objection? if no, I'll commit this patch. Oh, BTW, Thom, can
> you test it?

I'm fine with it in principle, but shouldn't it be "Backup" not
"Dump"? That's what the dialogue is called, and what's on the menus
iirc.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Restore database form button

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 30/10/2010 07:53, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> If we do this, we need to do the same on the other dump/restore dialogs.
>> Dave, any objection? if no, I'll commit this patch. Oh, BTW, Thom, can
>> you test it?
>
> I'm fine with it in principle, but shouldn't it be "Backup" not
> "Dump"? That's what the dialogue is called, and what's on the menus
> iirc.

I don't have a strong opinion on this. So, Backup is good for me.

Will do and commit.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Restore database form button

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 30/10/2010 08:04, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 30/10/2010 07:53, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> If we do this, we need to do the same on the other dump/restore dialogs.
>>> Dave, any objection? if no, I'll commit this patch. Oh, BTW, Thom, can
>>> you test it?
>>
>> I'm fine with it in principle, but shouldn't it be "Backup" not
>> "Dump"? That's what the dialogue is called, and what's on the menus
>> iirc.
>>

> I don't have a strong opinion on this. So, Backup is good for me.
>
> Will do and commit.

Commited.

--
Guillaume