Обсуждение: gitignore

gitignore

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
I was reading pgsql-hackers this morning while waiting for my
colleagues. There's an interesting thread on gitignore files. Right now,
when you grab a git branch, bootstrap it, configure it and make it, "git
status" shows a lot of uninteresting files. A .gitignore file would help
to notice changed files. I've come with the file attached, but would
like to get comments on this.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Вложения

Re: gitignore

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> I was reading pgsql-hackers this morning while waiting for my
> colleagues. There's an interesting thread on gitignore files. Right now,
> when you grab a git branch, bootstrap it, configure it and make it, "git
> status" shows a lot of uninteresting files. A .gitignore file would help
> to notice changed files. I've come with the file attached, but would
> like to get comments on this.

Sounds good. What about pgadmin/Debug and pgadmin/Release, to ignore
the Windows build directories?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: gitignore

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:17, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> I was reading pgsql-hackers this morning while waiting for my
> colleagues. There's an interesting thread on gitignore files. Right now,
> when you grab a git branch, bootstrap it, configure it and make it, "git
> status" shows a lot of uninteresting files. A .gitignore file would help
> to notice changed files. I've come with the file attached, but would
> like to get comments on this.

Haven't looked at the contents of the file, but definitely +1 on the
concept in genereal (probably not surprising, since I did the same
thing for the postgresql repo :P)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: gitignore

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 24/09/2010 10:21, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> I was reading pgsql-hackers this morning while waiting for my
>> colleagues. There's an interesting thread on gitignore files. Right now,
>> when you grab a git branch, bootstrap it, configure it and make it, "git
>> status" shows a lot of uninteresting files. A .gitignore file would help
>> to notice changed files. I've come with the file attached, but would
>> like to get comments on this.
>
> Sounds good. What about pgadmin/Debug and pgadmin/Release, to ignore
> the Windows build directories?

I forgot about those, but you're right. I need to add them.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: gitignore

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
+1

--
Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:17, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> I was reading pgsql-hackers this morning while waiting for my
> colleagues. There's an interesting thread on gitignore files. Right now,
> when you grab a git branch, bootstrap it, configure it and make it, "git
> status" shows a lot of uninteresting files. A .gitignore file would help
> to notice changed files. I've come with the file attached, but would
> like to get comments on this.

Haven't looked at the contents of the file, but definitely +1 on the
concept in genereal (probably not surprising, since I did the same
thing for the postgresql repo :P)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: gitignore

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 24/09/2010 10:23, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:17, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> I was reading pgsql-hackers this morning while waiting for my
>> colleagues. There's an interesting thread on gitignore files. Right now,
>> when you grab a git branch, bootstrap it, configure it and make it, "git
>> status" shows a lot of uninteresting files. A .gitignore file would help
>> to notice changed files. I've come with the file attached, but would
>> like to get comments on this.
>
> Haven't looked at the contents of the file, but definitely +1 on the
> concept in genereal (probably not surprising, since I did the same
> thing for the postgresql repo :P)

Yeah, I took a look at the mail where you show all the changes done, and
I worked from this. I have one question about it. There is many
.gitignore files. Why not a single one?  what are the advantages of the
multi-file way?

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: gitignore

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 24/09/2010 10:31, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 24/09/2010 10:21, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> I was reading pgsql-hackers this morning while waiting for my
>>> colleagues. There's an interesting thread on gitignore files. Right now,
>>> when you grab a git branch, bootstrap it, configure it and make it, "git
>>> status" shows a lot of uninteresting files. A .gitignore file would help
>>> to notice changed files. I've come with the file attached, but would
>>> like to get comments on this.
>>
>> Sounds good. What about pgadmin/Debug and pgadmin/Release, to ignore
>> the Windows build directories?
>>

> I forgot about those, but you're right. I need to add them.

And I forgot to ask. Which branches? I was thinking of master
(obviously), 1.12, and 1.10 (since Dave still works on it for EDB).
Objection?

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: gitignore

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:34, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 24/09/2010 10:23, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:17, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> I was reading pgsql-hackers this morning while waiting for my
>>> colleagues. There's an interesting thread on gitignore files. Right now,
>>> when you grab a git branch, bootstrap it, configure it and make it, "git
>>> status" shows a lot of uninteresting files. A .gitignore file would help
>>> to notice changed files. I've come with the file attached, but would
>>> like to get comments on this.
>>
>> Haven't looked at the contents of the file, but definitely +1 on the
>> concept in genereal (probably not surprising, since I did the same
>> thing for the postgresql repo :P)
>>

> Yeah, I took a look at the mail where you show all the changes done, and
> I worked from this. I have one question about it. There is many
> .gitignore files. Why not a single one?  what are the advantages of the
> multi-file way?

That you'll always find the local targets in the directory you're
currently working, and when you need to add a new one, you do it next
to the file where it was done.

That was actually discussed in the thread on -hackers :P

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: gitignore

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 24/09/2010 10:36, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:34, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> Haven't looked at the contents of the file, but definitely +1 on the
>>> concept in genereal (probably not surprising, since I did the same
>>> thing for the postgresql repo :P)
>>>

>> Yeah, I took a look at the mail where you show all the changes done, and
>> I worked from this. I have one question about it. There is many
>> .gitignore files. Why not a single one?  what are the advantages of the
>> multi-file way?
>
> That you'll always find the local targets in the directory you're
> currently working, and when you need to add a new one, you do it next
> to the file where it was done.

OK, should we do that? It would be really easy to do.

> That was actually discussed in the thread on -hackers :P

Didn't remember that.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr