Обсуждение: Ideas for new features

Ideas for new features

От
Steffen Kuhn
Дата:
Hi all,

here are some thoughts about new features:

*ComboBox in DataEditor if column has an foreign key (not sure if had
already read this on list, but found nothing in trac)
*Higher time resolution for pgAdmin jobs. A job should be runable e.g.
every 1 second or 10 seconds.
*A button for selecting all entries in the pgAgent jobs scheduler lists

Regards
Steffen

Re: Ideas for new features

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 22/08/2010 16:45, Steffen Kuhn a écrit :
> [...]
> here are some thoughts about new features:
>
> *ComboBox in DataEditor if column has an foreign key (not sure if had
> already read this on list, but found nothing in trac)

Yeah, people already asked for it. I don't think anyone has ever work on
this.

I can add a ticket on this, but I would need more details.

> *Higher time resolution for pgAdmin jobs. A job should be runable e.g.
> every 1 second or 10 seconds.

+1 (ticket added, #228).

> *A button for selecting all entries in the pgAgent jobs scheduler lists

Actually, I don't get it. Probably because I don't use pgAgent...

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Ideas for new features

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> *Higher time resolution for pgAdmin jobs. A job should be runable e.g.
>> every 1 second or 10 seconds.
>
> +1 (ticket added, #228).

And closed it again. This is extremely unlikely to happen - it would
require significant code changes, would significantly increase load on
the server, and is of extremely limited use.

>> *A button for selecting all entries in the pgAgent jobs scheduler lists
>
> Actually, I don't get it. Probably because I don't use pgAgent...

"Select All" and "Invert Selection" buttons would be very useful.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Ideas for new features

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:10, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> *Higher time resolution for pgAdmin jobs. A job should be runable e.g.
>>> every 1 second or 10 seconds.
>>
>> +1 (ticket added, #228).
>
> And closed it again. This is extremely unlikely to happen - it would
> require significant code changes, would significantly increase load on
> the server, and is of extremely limited use.

I'll buy the significant code-changes, but I dont' see how it would
necessarily increase the load on the server. Maybe because I don't
know pgagent enough - can you explain how?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Ideas for new features

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:10, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 (ticket added, #228).
>>
>> And closed it again. This is extremely unlikely to happen - it would
>> require significant code changes, would significantly increase load on
>> the server, and is of extremely limited use.
>
> I'll buy the significant code-changes, but I dont' see how it would
> necessarily increase the load on the server. Maybe because I don't
> know pgagent enough - can you explain how?

Jobs are stored in the database with a 'next run' time that is
recalculated from the schedules each time the job runs or is modified.
The agent polls the database for jobs that are at, or past their next
run time every minute by default. To reduce the resolution to 10
seconds or even 1 second, we'd need to start polling the database at
least every 10 or 1 second(s).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Ideas for new features

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:18, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:10, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> And closed it again. This is extremely unlikely to happen - it would
>>> require significant code changes, would significantly increase load on
>>> the server, and is of extremely limited use.
>>
>> I'll buy the significant code-changes, but I dont' see how it would
>> necessarily increase the load on the server. Maybe because I don't
>> know pgagent enough - can you explain how?
>
> Jobs are stored in the database with a 'next run' time that is
> recalculated from the schedules each time the job runs or is modified.
> The agent polls the database for jobs that are at, or past their next
> run time every minute by default. To reduce the resolution to 10
> seconds or even 1 second, we'd need to start polling the database at
> least every 10 or 1 second(s).

Oh. I thought that was cached in the agent.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Ideas for new features

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:18, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> I'll buy the significant code-changes, but I dont' see how it would
>>> necessarily increase the load on the server. Maybe because I don't
>>> know pgagent enough - can you explain how?
>>
>> Jobs are stored in the database with a 'next run' time that is
>> recalculated from the schedules each time the job runs or is modified.
>> The agent polls the database for jobs that are at, or past their next
>> run time every minute by default. To reduce the resolution to 10
>> seconds or even 1 second, we'd need to start polling the database at
>> least every 10 or 1 second(s).
>
> Oh. I thought that was cached in the agent.

I suspect that could be pretty hard to do without running into
problems, especially with multiple agents running.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Ideas for new features

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:24, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> Jobs are stored in the database with a 'next run' time that is
>>> recalculated from the schedules each time the job runs or is modified.
>>> The agent polls the database for jobs that are at, or past their next
>>> run time every minute by default. To reduce the resolution to 10
>>> seconds or even 1 second, we'd need to start polling the database at
>>> least every 10 or 1 second(s).
>>
>> Oh. I thought that was cached in the agent.
>
> I suspect that could be pretty hard to do without running into
> problems, especially with multiple agents running.

Good point - I keep forgetting about the multiple-agent scenario :(

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Ideas for new features

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 23/08/2010 11:10, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> *Higher time resolution for pgAdmin jobs. A job should be runable e.g.
>>> every 1 second or 10 seconds.
>>
>> +1 (ticket added, #228).
>
> And closed it again. This is extremely unlikely to happen - it would
> require significant code changes, would significantly increase load on
> the server, and is of extremely limited use.

OK, my bad. Sorry.

>>> *A button for selecting all entries in the pgAgent jobs scheduler lists
>>
>> Actually, I don't get it. Probably because I don't use pgAgent...
>
> "Select All" and "Invert Selection" buttons would be very useful.

OK, so new ticket added (#229).

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr