Обсуждение: Rework of the frmOptions window

Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Hi,

Since our frmOptions is so badly displayed, I've put some work on it:

 * Sizers everywhere!
 * Replace widgets with a wxDirPickerCtrl.
 * Replace widgets with a wxFilePickerCtrl.
 * Replace widgets with a wxFontPickerCtrl.
 * Minimize the dialog size.

Dave, if you have Snow Leopard, can you check this patch? if
wxFontDialog is still broken on Mac OS X, I'll need to revert this git
commit. Thanks.

Apart from this, seems good enough for me.

You can see screenshots there:
  http://lelarge.info/~guillaume/frmOptions/

Comments?

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Вложения

Re: Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since our frmOptions is so badly displayed, I've put some work on it:
>
>  * Sizers everywhere!
>  * Replace widgets with a wxDirPickerCtrl.
>  * Replace widgets with a wxFilePickerCtrl.
>  * Replace widgets with a wxFontPickerCtrl.
>  * Minimize the dialog size.
>
> Dave, if you have Snow Leopard, can you check this patch? if
> wxFontDialog is still broken on Mac OS X, I'll need to revert this git
> commit. Thanks.

Sure. There's an issue on the first tab, where the text at the bottom
is truncated. Other than that, it looks OK technically speaking, but
the controls (and form) are getting so wide they're starting to look
very 'in your face'. FWIW, Magnus was of a similar opinion when I
showed him the dialogue.

> Apart from this, seems good enough for me.

I think it's good enough to use. It certainly does need a rethink in
the longer term though.

--
Dave Page

Re: Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 27/03/2010 15:05, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since our frmOptions is so badly displayed, I've put some work on it:
>>
>>  * Sizers everywhere!
>>  * Replace widgets with a wxDirPickerCtrl.
>>  * Replace widgets with a wxFilePickerCtrl.
>>  * Replace widgets with a wxFontPickerCtrl.
>>  * Minimize the dialog size.
>>
>> Dave, if you have Snow Leopard, can you check this patch? if
>> wxFontDialog is still broken on Mac OS X, I'll need to revert this git
>> commit. Thanks.
>
> Sure. There's an issue on the first tab, where the text at the bottom
> is truncated.

Was already fixed in my local git branch. But thanks :)

> Other than that, it looks OK technically speaking, but
> the controls (and form) are getting so wide they're starting to look
> very 'in your face'. FWIW, Magnus was of a similar opinion when I
> showed him the dialogue.

Yeah, I agree too. Mainly with the colour buttons.

One way we can fix this is lowering the width of the dialog. If we do
that, we need to lessen the number of tabs. One way would be to put all
colours options in the same tab. IIRC, you already mentionned it.

Another way would be to have four columns, instead of two right now. Not
sure it will be better displayed this way.

>> Apart from this, seems good enough for me.
>
> I think it's good enough to use. It certainly does need a rethink in
> the longer term though.

We can still think of it now. We still have time.

I'll try the first way (lower the width of the dialog).

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 27/03/2010 16:05, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 27/03/2010 15:05, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since our frmOptions is so badly displayed, I've put some work on it:
>>>
>>>  * Sizers everywhere!
>>>  * Replace widgets with a wxDirPickerCtrl.
>>>  * Replace widgets with a wxFilePickerCtrl.
>>>  * Replace widgets with a wxFontPickerCtrl.
>>>  * Minimize the dialog size.
>>>
>>> Dave, if you have Snow Leopard, can you check this patch? if
>>> wxFontDialog is still broken on Mac OS X, I'll need to revert this git
>>> commit. Thanks.
>>
>> Sure. There's an issue on the first tab, where the text at the bottom
>> is truncated.
>
> Was already fixed in my local git branch. But thanks :)
>
>> Other than that, it looks OK technically speaking, but
>> the controls (and form) are getting so wide they're starting to look
>> very 'in your face'. FWIW, Magnus was of a similar opinion when I
>> showed him the dialogue.
>>

> Yeah, I agree too. Mainly with the colour buttons.
>
> One way we can fix this is lowering the width of the dialog. If we do
> that, we need to lessen the number of tabs. One way would be to put all
> colours options in the same tab. IIRC, you already mentionned it.
>
> Another way would be to have four columns, instead of two right now. Not
> sure it will be better displayed this way.
>
>>> Apart from this, seems good enough for me.
>>
>> I think it's good enough to use. It certainly does need a rethink in
>> the longer term though.
>>

> We can still think of it now. We still have time.
>
> I'll try the first way (lower the width of the dialog).

Two screenshots, with two different methods. First one, I added a spacer
as a third column (this column is growable). Second one, the growable
columns is the first, which explains why the ctlColourPickerCtrl is
aligned on the right.

Not sure I really like one or the other.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 http://dalibo.com

Вложения

Re: Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> Two screenshots, with two different methods. First one, I added a spacer
> as a third column (this column is growable). Second one, the growable
> columns is the first, which explains why the ctlColourPickerCtrl is
> aligned on the right.

The first one would look good if you could put the highlight colours
from the other tab on the right (or swap them).

--
Dave Page

Re: Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 27/03/2010 19:49, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>
>> Two screenshots, with two different methods. First one, I added a spacer
>> as a third column (this column is growable). Second one, the growable
>> columns is the first, which explains why the ctlColourPickerCtrl is
>> aligned on the right.
>
> The first one would look good if you could put the highlight colours
> from the other tab on the right (or swap them).

Something like this, but with the other tab controls? could be done
quite easily. I'll try to get something done on next monday.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 http://dalibo.com

Вложения

Re: Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Yeah, i think thats much nicer.

--
Dave Page

Re: Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 27/03/2010 22:28, Dave Page a écrit :
> Yeah, i think thats much nicer.

Reworked a bit. I get this:

  http://lelarge.info/~guillaume/frmOptions/

Same size as 1.10, same number of tabs. There is probably a bit more
work to make it prettier, but it's probably enough for 1.12.

Patch attached if you want to check on Mac OS X. I won't be able to do
so before thursday.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 http://dalibo.com

Вложения

Re: Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 30/03/2010 00:17, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 27/03/2010 22:28, Dave Page a écrit :
>> Yeah, i think thats much nicer.
>>

> Reworked a bit. I get this:
>
>   http://lelarge.info/~guillaume/frmOptions/
>
> Same size as 1.10, same number of tabs. There is probably a bit more
> work to make it prettier, but it's probably enough for 1.12.
>
> Patch attached if you want to check on Mac OS X. I won't be able to do
> so before thursday.

Checked on Windows and Mac OS X. Fixed one bug. Works great.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 30/03/2010 00:17, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
>> Le 27/03/2010 22:28, Dave Page a écrit :
>>> Yeah, i think thats much nicer.
>>>

>> Reworked a bit. I get this:
>>
>>   http://lelarge.info/~guillaume/frmOptions/
>>
>> Same size as 1.10, same number of tabs. There is probably a bit more
>> work to make it prettier, but it's probably enough for 1.12.
>>
>> Patch attached if you want to check on Mac OS X. I won't be able to do
>> so before thursday.
>>

> Checked on Windows and Mac OS X. Fixed one bug. Works great.

:-)

Thanks!

--
Dave Page

Re: Rework of the frmOptions window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 02/04/2010 11:13, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Reworked a bit. I get this:
>>>
>>>   http://lelarge.info/~guillaume/frmOptions/
>>>
>>> Same size as 1.10, same number of tabs. There is probably a bit more
>>> work to make it prettier, but it's probably enough for 1.12.
>>>
>>> Patch attached if you want to check on Mac OS X. I won't be able to do
>>> so before thursday.
>>>

>> Checked on Windows and Mac OS X. Fixed one bug. Works great.
>
> :-)
>
> Thanks!

Thanks, commited :)

--