Обсуждение: Re: [pgadmin-support] pgAdmin III 1.8.4 does not show list of Trigger Functions (Minor bug?)

Re: [pgadmin-support] pgAdmin III 1.8.4 does not show list of Trigger Functions (Minor bug?)

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
Hi Dave,

I have looked in to the issue.
I am able to reproduce the same on linux (ubuntu 8.10) too.

I have worked on it.
Please find the patch for that.

Thanks Chris. :)

Chris Price wrote:

Hi,

This could be a minor bug.

Version pgAdmin III 1.8.4 (Jun 4 2008, rev 7358) does not show the list of Trigger Functions in the Properties tab when the Trigger Functions node is highlighted in the object browser. Expanding the node works okay and all the information is then available, so this is a very minor issue.

Highlighting other nodes like Functions, Tables, Views, etc all show the list of objects in the Properties tab, without having to expand the node.

Version 1.8.1 of pgAdmin III (with PostgreSQL 8.2.5) did not exhibit this problem. I don't know about the intervening versions.

I'm running systems on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 R2, both with PostgreSQL 8.3.6

Thanks,

Chris Price

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ashesh Vashi

EnterpriseDB INDIA: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Re: [pgadmin-support] pgAdmin III 1.8.4 does not show list of Trigger Functions (Minor bug?)

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Ashesh Vashi
<ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I have looked in to the issue.
> I am able to reproduce the same on linux (ubuntu 8.10) too.
>
> I have worked on it.
> Please find the patch for that.

Thanks Ashesh - patch applied.

> Thanks Chris. :)

Yes, thanks!

--
Dave Page

pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Chuck McDevitt
Дата:
I've been working on updating pgAdmin to support the Greenplum database (www.greenplum.com).

I'm wondering if the pgAdmin project would want to accept changes to add Greenplum support, or if I should just branch
andhave my own pgAdmin that is special for Greenplum (gpAdmin ?).

I've been making this change in a way that doesn't affect PostgreSQL support or EDB support, but only shows the new
functionalityif connected to a Greenplum database system.  But there is quite a bit to the change, as Greenplum has
manyfeatures not in standard PostgreSQL.

What do you think?

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt@greenplum.com> wrote:
> I've been working on updating pgAdmin to support the Greenplum database (www.greenplum.com).
>
> I'm wondering if the pgAdmin project would want to accept changes to add Greenplum support, or if I should just
branchand have my own pgAdmin that is special for Greenplum (gpAdmin ?).

> I've been making this change in a way that doesn't affect PostgreSQL support or EDB support, but only shows the new
functionalityif connected to a Greenplum database system.  But there is quite a bit to the change, as Greenplum has
manyfeatures not in standard PostgreSQL.

Hi Chuck,

I discussed this with Scott Yara (perhaps 18 months ago now) and we
agreed that we'd aim to include any Greenplum changes, provided they
don't affect the PG or EDB support (not a problem from what you say),
and that they weren't so invasive that they'd cause us maintenance
problems having to work around code that most of us probably couldn't
test or exercise properly.

I'm still happy for us to do that as it was always hoped that pgAdmin
could be used by PostgreSQL derivatives (in fact, that's why we chose
the Artistic licence, and the reason for features such as the runtime
rebranding). My main concern at the moment is that we're pretty close
to beta and I'll need to find review time for any new code.

Can you post your patches ASAP so we can see how large they are and
how much work will be involved?

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Chuck McDevitt

Here is a svn diff on the code.

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Chuck McDevitt

And here are some of the new source files for the change.

The changes aren't quite ready yet, I still have work to do.

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt@greenplum.com> wrote:

>> Can you post your patches ASAP so we can see how large they are and
>> how much work will be involved?
>>
> And here are some of the new source files for the change.
>
> The changes aren't quite ready yet, I still have work to do.

Hi,

I've quickly eyeballed the patch and the additional files and don't
see anything that gives me any cause for concern. Obviously I cannot
test the Greenplum-specific code at the moment (I guess I'll have to
download the trial at some point - yet another test VM :-p ). I did
spot the following (minor) issues, at least some of which I would
assume you're already aware of:

- The additional constants in keywords.h should have a
product-specific suffix, ie. _GP

- The standard indent in the pgAdmin code is four spaces, not a tab.

- The online help is using the PostgreSQL help site. Do you have a
version of the PG docs with the Greenplum additions that still uses
the same file names? If so, there should be an appropriate help path
option on frmOptions, if not, we need to figure out an acceptable
alternative.

- The patch is missing images, headers, dialogue code (I assume there
should be dlgResQueue.cpp and dlgPartition.cpp) and dialogue
resources.

- precomp.h needs an update to include any new headers.

- Presumably Greenplum has it's own versions of pg_dump and friends,
in which case we need a GP Bin Path option on frmOptions, and changes
to frmBackup::getCmdPart1() and similar functions to call the correct
binary.

Please be aware that we're expecting to go to beta within a few weeks
(at the same time as PostgreSQL 8.4), so we'll want to get these
patches in fairly soon.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Chuck McDevitt

I should have a reasonably complete patch ready by the beginning of next week, and should be able to finish everything
beforethe beta.

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Chuck McDevitt
Дата:
Revised patch.  Here is the diff from 7597 on existing files.  Next e-mail will be the new files.

P.s.  There is some extra stuff in the patch, because I didn't realize that there were a significant number of "tab"
charactersin the svn repository.  I did an "untabify" on the files, so converted tabs to 4 spaces.  This caused some
extradifferences with files that had tabs in the svn repository.

Дата:
Here are the new .h files

Дата:
The new cpp files

Дата:
The .xrc and xpm files

Дата:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt@greenplum.com> wrote:
> Revised patch.  Here is the diff from 7597 on existing files.  Next e-mail will be the new files.
>
> P.s.  There is some extra stuff in the patch, because I didn't realize that there were a significant number of "tab"
charactersin the svn repository.  I did an "untabify" on the files, so converted tabs to 4 spaces.  This caused some
extradifferences with files that had tabs in the svn repository.

Hi Chuck,

The patch looks pretty good to me - just a few issues/queries below.
I've only eyeballed it and built it so far though - I'm in the process
of downloading Greenplum so I can test more thoroughly, though it's a
slow download at the moment (btw; you might want to have you're
website tell the user a password is being emailed - it looks like
nothing has happened when you first register).

- There is a block of commented out code in dlgExtTable which looks
like it was copied and pasted from dlgTable. It almost looks like you
started to write a more comprehensive GUI but then decided to just use
a textbox instead. What would be seen in the textbox? We would
normally only provide a UI like that for 'free form' properties such
as a function body, not for 'rigid form' properties such as those
defining a table.

- In pgPartitions.cpp, GetSQL should return the ALTER TABLE statement
that might be used to create the partition, not an untranslated
explanation of how the user should create the partition. The reverse
engineered SQL we display on the main window is intended as a teaching
tool as well as a convenience for those that like to use the SQL.

- Can you please rename pgPartition/pgExtTable/pgResQueue to gpXXX? We
use edbXXX for EnterpriseDB-specific objects and should follow that
convention for Greenplum.

- There are no dialogues for displaying/editing/creating partitions or
resource queues. Is there a reason for this? Are those items a user
will never create but must be able to browse? As a rule (to which
there are just two closely related exceptions) we want to add complete
support for object types from the outset.

- pgPartition.h (or gpPartition.h) is missing from precomp.h.

- The test in isGpApp() is pretty flimsy. Can you call pg_dump --help
and look for the --gp-syntax option in the help output?

- There's a change in embed-xrc.bat that probably shouldn't be in the patch!

- On frmOptions, the labels 'Greenplum help path' and 'Greenplum bin
path' don't fit, and are likely to be even longer in some
translations. We need to use 'GP help path' and 'GP bin path' I guess.

- The text on the Display tab on frmOptions should be changed from
'ResQueues/resource queues' to 'Resource queues'. The dual naming is
only used for roles where login roles == users and group roles ==
groups in older versions of PG.

- Please document the new options in docs/en_US/options-tab1.html. A
screenshot would help as well, though I can do that if you don't have
XP.

Regards, Dave.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi Chuck,

Just a quick reminder - as announced on the list a couple of weeks
ago, we intend to feature freeze for 1.10 on the 28th February and get
the first beta out within a few days, so I'll need an updated patch by
COB today ideally (I can probably wait until Monday though, as I'm not
working over the weekend).

Thanks.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> - pgPartition.h (or gpPartition.h) is missing from precomp.h.
>
> - The test in isGpApp() is pretty flimsy. Can you call pg_dump --help
> and look for the --gp-syntax option in the help output?
>
> - There's a change in embed-xrc.bat that probably shouldn't be in the patch!
>
> - On frmOptions, the labels 'Greenplum help path' and 'Greenplum bin
> path' don't fit, and are likely to be even longer in some
> translations. We need to use 'GP help path' and 'GP bin path' I guess.
>
> - The text on the Display tab on frmOptions should be changed from
> 'ResQueues/resource queues' to 'Resource queues'. The dual naming is
> only used for roles where login roles == users and group roles ==
> groups in older versions of PG.
>
> - Please document the new options in docs/en_US/options-tab1.html. A
> screenshot would help as well, though I can do that if you don't have

Дата:
Latest version of greenplum patch:   Diffs to existing files

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Chuck McDevitt
Дата:
Some notes on the current state of the patch:

> Hi Chuck,
>
> The patch looks pretty good to me - just a few issues/queries below.
> I've only eyeballed it and built it so far though - I'm in the process
> of downloading Greenplum so I can test more thoroughly, though it's a
> slow download at the moment (btw; you might want to have you're
> website tell the user a password is being emailed - it looks like
> nothing has happened when you first register).
>
> - There is a block of commented out code in dlgExtTable which looks
> like it was copied and pasted from dlgTable. It almost looks like you
> started to write a more comprehensive GUI but then decided to just use
> a textbox instead. What would be seen in the textbox? We would
> normally only provide a UI like that for 'free form' properties such
> as a function body, not for 'rigid form' properties such as those
> defining a table.

Yes, I'd like to make a nicer interface for creating external tables,
But it will take a bit of time to do, as they don't get created like regular tables.
So for now, the current code will have to do.

> - In pgPartitions.cpp, GetSQL should return the ALTER TABLE statement
> that might be used to create the partition, not an untranslated
> explanation of how the user should create the partition. The reverse
> engineered SQL we display on the main window is intended as a teaching
> tool as well as a convenience for those that like to use the SQL.

Yes, I plan to do this, but didn't have time to finish it for today, but will have a fix soon.
Note that the partitions are not normally created through any DDL of their own, but rather are created as part of the
creationof the base table.  So neither showing a CREATE TABLE nor an ALTER TABLE is exactly right, but the alter is
better(as you suggested)

> - Can you please rename pgPartition/pgExtTable/pgResQueue to gpXXX? We
> use edbXXX for EnterpriseDB-specific objects and should follow that
> convention for Greenplum.

Done.

> - There are no dialogues for displaying/editing/creating partitions or
> resource queues. Is there a reason for this? Are those items a user
> will never create but must be able to browse? As a rule (to which
> there are just two closely related exceptions) we want to add complete
> support for object types from the outset.

Partitions are a funny case, as you can display them, but you can't alter them in any way that would change their
compatibilitywith the base table (which rules out most ALTER statements).

Adding partitions to a table is of course possible, and I'd like to automate that too, but couldn't get it ready in
timefor today.

> - pgPartition.h (or gpPartition.h) is missing from precomp.h.

fixed

> - The test in isGpApp() is pretty flimsy. Can you call pg_dump --help
> and look for the --gp-syntax option in the help output?

I will fix this soon, but it shouldn't stop the patch from going in.

> - There's a change in embed-xrc.bat that probably shouldn't be in the
> patch!

Reverted.

> - On frmOptions, the labels 'Greenplum help path' and 'Greenplum bin
> path' don't fit, and are likely to be even longer in some
> translations. We need to use 'GP help path' and 'GP bin path' I guess.

Ok, changed to GP help path and GP bin path.

> - The text on the Display tab on frmOptions should be changed from
> 'ResQueues/resource queues' to 'Resource queues'. The dual naming is
> only used for roles where login roles == users and group roles ==
> groups in older versions of PG.

Done.

> - Please document the new options in docs/en_US/options-tab1.html. A
> screenshot would help as well, though I can do that if you don't have
> XP.

Done.

> Regards, Dave.
>
> --
> Dave Page
> EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Chuck McDevitt
Дата:
The .cpp files

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Chuck McDevitt
Дата:
The .xrc and .xpm files

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Chuck McDevitt
<cmcdevitt@greenplum.com> wrote:
> The .cpp files

I seem to be missing dlgExtTable.cpp - can you forward it ASAP please?

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Chuck McDevitt
> <cmcdevitt@greenplum.com> wrote:
>> The .cpp files
>
> I seem to be missing dlgExtTable.cpp - can you forward it ASAP please?

I don't mean to be pushy, but I expect to cut the first beta early
next week, and I'll need this prior to then if we're going to commit
this patch.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Got it - thanks. Unless something unexpected fills my schedule, I
expect to work on this tomorrow.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt@greenplum.com> wrote:
> Sorry... I thought this went out, but I had some e-mail issue.

Дата: