Обсуждение: Comments on a separate tab?

Comments on a separate tab?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Hi,

Properties dialog takes a lot of space. I think it's mainly because of
the comments textfield. I would find great to put it on its own tab. I
haven't actually look at the code to see if that's possible at all. I
would like to know your feelings about this.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Comments on a separate tab?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Properties dialog takes a lot of space. I think it's mainly because of the
> comments textfield. I would find great to put it on its own tab. I haven't
> actually look at the code to see if that's possible at all. I would like to
> know your feelings about this.

Should be straighforward technically speaking, just a bit of effort
because of all the dialogues that would need updating. It seems like a
nice idea, but currently the comment box acts as a 'filler' to ensure
the dialogues look full. Not sure they would all look correct with it
someplace else.
--
Dave Page

Re: Comments on a separate tab?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>
>> Properties dialog takes a lot of space. I think it's mainly because of the
>> comments textfield. I would find great to put it on its own tab. I haven't
>> actually look at the code to see if that's possible at all. I would like to
>> know your feelings about this.
>
> Should be straighforward technically speaking, just a bit of effort
> because of all the dialogues that would need updating. It seems like a
> nice idea, but currently the comment box acts as a 'filler' to ensure
> the dialogues look full. Not sure they would all look correct with it
> someplace else.

My main concern is to be able to create table on my laptop (monitor size
1280x800) and the previous size didn't allow this to me.

I hope I did a complete review of all dialogs. I think they all look
correct on my Linux box. Not sure on Windows and MacOS X.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Вложения

Re: Comments on a separate tab?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> Properties dialog takes a lot of space. I think it's mainly because
>>> of the
>>> comments textfield. I would find great to put it on its own tab. I
>>> haven't
>>> actually look at the code to see if that's possible at all. I would
>>> like to
>>> know your feelings about this.
>>
>> Should be straighforward technically speaking, just a bit of effort
>> because of all the dialogues that would need updating. It seems like a
>> nice idea, but currently the comment box acts as a 'filler' to ensure
>> the dialogues look full. Not sure they would all look correct with it
>> someplace else.
>
> My main concern is to be able to create table on my laptop (monitor size
> 1280x800) and the previous size didn't allow this to me.

It seems I don't have every dialogs in the patch... grmbl... I'll look
into this.

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org
  http://dalibo.com

Re: Comments on a separate tab?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> My main concern is to be able to create table on my laptop (monitor size
> 1280x800) and the previous size didn't allow this to me.

Seems reasonable. Note that I was intending to redesign the table
dialogue anyway - thats the only oversized one iirc.

> I hope I did a complete review of all dialogs. I think they all look correct
> on my Linux box. Not sure on Windows and MacOS X.

I'm sure I'll complain quickly enough :-p

--
Dave Page

Re: Comments on a separate tab?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> My main concern is to be able to create table on my laptop (monitor size
>> 1280x800) and the previous size didn't allow this to me.
>
> Seems reasonable. Note that I was intending to redesign the table
> dialogue anyway - thats the only oversized one iirc.

Yes, that's the one that actually triggers me to review all our dialogs.

>> I hope I did a complete review of all dialogs. I think they all look correct
>> on my Linux box. Not sure on Windows and MacOS X.
>
> I'm sure I'll complain quickly enough :-p

I hope so :)

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org
  http://dalibo.com

Re: Comments on a separate tab?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>> I'm sure I'll complain quickly enough :-p
>
> I hope so :)

Hmm, here we go then (having tried the patch) :-(

- On a purely personal level, I'm not sure I like it. I think the
dialogues in general were much more aesthetically pleasing with the
comments at the bottom of the main section of the dialogues.

- On the table and function dialogues, we have an issue because the
number of tabs is so wide that they extend off the page on OS X (which
doesn't seem to have a nice way to scroll tab like Windows/GTK). That
was becoming an issue anyway, but this patch makes it worse.

- You missed some dialogues, eg. dlgTablespace. I think you already
spotted that though :-p

- Property dialogues should all be the same size (the accepted
exceptions being dlgTable which is bigger through necessity, and
dlgFunction/dlgTrigger/dlgPackage which are resizable to accomodate
editing of code). See

http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/branches/REL-1_2_0_PATCHES/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/prop_page_design.html
(which needs to be resurrected).

I wonder if effort in this area would be better expended on starting
the table dialogue redesign, as that should be the only one that
causes problems on your laptop screen.

--
Dave Page

Re: Comments on a separate tab?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>
>>> I'm sure I'll complain quickly enough :-p
>> I hope so :)
>
> Hmm, here we go then (having tried the patch) :-(
>
> - On a purely personal level, I'm not sure I like it. I think the
> dialogues in general were much more aesthetically pleasing with the
> comments at the bottom of the main section of the dialogues.

OK.

> - On the table and function dialogues, we have an issue because the
> number of tabs is so wide that they extend off the page on OS X (which
> doesn't seem to have a nice way to scroll tab like Windows/GTK). That
> was becoming an issue anyway, but this patch makes it worse.

I completely agree. Having a big number of tabs is a problem.

> - You missed some dialogues, eg. dlgTablespace. I think you already
> spotted that though :-p

I don't know how I handled this, but not in a good way. Some of my
changes are completely lost.

> - Property dialogues should all be the same size (the accepted
> exceptions being dlgTable which is bigger through necessity, and
> dlgFunction/dlgTrigger/dlgPackage which are resizable to accomodate
> editing of code). See

http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/branches/REL-1_2_0_PATCHES/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/prop_page_design.html
> (which needs to be resurrected).

It sure needs. http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgAdmin_Internals seems
to be the right place for this kind of information.

> I wonder if effort in this area would be better expended on starting
> the table dialogue redesign, as that should be the only one that
> causes problems on your laptop screen.

You're only talking about this patch, not about the "adding sizers and
spacers" patch ?

I agree we should not apply this (incomplete) patch. But the "adding
sizers and spacers" patch seems still relevant.

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org
  http://dalibo.com

Re: Comments on a separate tab?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :

http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/branches/REL-1_2_0_PATCHES/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/prop_page_design.html
>> (which needs to be resurrected).
>>

> It sure needs. http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgAdmin_Internals seems to be
> the right place for this kind of information.

Yes, I'll add it there.

>> I wonder if effort in this area would be better expended on starting
>> the table dialogue redesign, as that should be the only one that
>> causes problems on your laptop screen.
>>

> You're only talking about this patch, not about the "adding sizers and
> spacers" patch ?
>
> I agree we should not apply this (incomplete) patch. But the "adding sizers
> and spacers" patch seems still relevant.

Oh yes, I agree. Fixing up the dialogues to use sizers properly is
definitely worthwhile. It'll fix some issues I've seen in Russian
recently for a start.

--
Dave Page