Обсуждение: How do you manage versions of your own code ?

How do you manage versions of your own code ?

От
"Robins Tharakan"
Дата:
Hi all,

After going a bit of back and forth on different versions that I am working on I think I might as well ask how do you guys work on an open-source development project once you are disconnected ?

I mean, if I do a svn co and start working, it wouldnt allow me to check in a version since its not a distributedVCS. If I use bzr-svn, it does checkout, but I still can't check in a half-way state since it tries to dump the patch to the online SVN too which of course fails.

Apart from the current issue of me not having submit rights, how did you guys work on this when you don't have submit rights to a non-distributed VCS ?
Did you just keep storing revision patches and patch / revert on the latest checked out revision as and when you needed to switch to an older version of your code ?

(Btw, by version here I meant an older half-way-state of my own working code, not the PgAdmin version)

Thanks
Robins Tharakan

Re: How do you manage versions of your own code ?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Feb 6, 2008 3:34 AM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After going a bit of back and forth on different versions that I am working
> on I think I might as well ask how do you guys work on an open-source
> development project once you are disconnected ?
>
> I mean, if I do a svn co and start working, it wouldnt allow me to check in
> a version since its not a distributedVCS. If I use bzr-svn, it does
> checkout, but I still can't check in a half-way state since it tries to dump
> the patch to the online SVN too which of course fails.
>
> Apart from the current issue of me not having submit rights, how did you
> guys work on this when you don't have submit rights to a non-distributed VCS
> ?
>  Did you just keep storing revision patches and patch / revert on the latest
> checked out revision as and when you needed to switch to an older version of
> your code ?
>
> (Btw, by version here I meant an older half-way-state of my own working
> code, not the PgAdmin version)

I just keep multiple copies of the tree around if I'm working on more
than one large project at a time, and take periodic diff's against SVN
if I think I need to. I've never really found the need for a
distributed scm with pgAdmin.

/D

Re: How do you manage versions of your own code ?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Dave Page wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 3:34 AM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After going a bit of back and forth on different versions that I am working
>> on I think I might as well ask how do you guys work on an open-source
>> development project once you are disconnected ?
>>
>> I mean, if I do a svn co and start working, it wouldnt allow me to check in
>> a version since its not a distributedVCS. If I use bzr-svn, it does
>> checkout, but I still can't check in a half-way state since it tries to dump
>> the patch to the online SVN too which of course fails.
>>
>> Apart from the current issue of me not having submit rights, how did you
>> guys work on this when you don't have submit rights to a non-distributed VCS
>> ?
>>  Did you just keep storing revision patches and patch / revert on the latest
>> checked out revision as and when you needed to switch to an older version of
>> your code ?
>>
>> (Btw, by version here I meant an older half-way-state of my own working
>> code, not the PgAdmin version)
>
> I just keep multiple copies of the tree around if I'm working on more
> than one large project at a time, and take periodic diff's against SVN
> if I think I need to. I've never really found the need for a
> distributed scm with pgAdmin.

I don't work with so many patches to feel the need of something better
than subversion. I'm usually working with only one patch.

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: How do you manage versions of your own code ?

От
"Kalle Hallivuori"
Дата:
Hi,

2008/2/6, Robins Tharakan <tharakan@gmail.com>:
> After going a bit of back and forth on different versions that I am working
> on I think I might as well ask how do you guys work on an open-source
> development project once you are disconnected ?

We use Mercurial ( http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/ ). Works
great. New versions from the main project we import to separate
subtrees and carry our changes over with a diff from the older
subtree. I wonder whether anyone has a better method for that.

Looking forward to provide the cursored querying I promised last year
but that we are still working on,

--
Kalle Hallivuori +358-41-5053073 http://korpiq.iki.fi/

Re: How do you manage versions of your own code ?

От
"Heikki Linnakangas"
Дата:
Robins Tharakan wrote:
> After going a bit of back and forth on different versions that I am working
> on I think I might as well ask how do you guys work on an open-source
> development project once you are disconnected ?
>
> I mean, if I do a svn co and start working, it wouldnt allow me to check in
> a version since its not a distributedVCS. If I use bzr-svn, it does
> checkout, but I still can't check in a half-way state since it tries to dump
> the patch to the online SVN too which of course fails.
>
> Apart from the current issue of me not having submit rights, how did you
> guys work on this when you don't have submit rights to a non-distributed VCS
> ?
> Did you just keep storing revision patches and patch / revert on the latest
> checked out revision as and when you needed to switch to an older version of
> your code ?

I don't do much pgAdmin development, but with Postgres, I keep an
rsync'd copy of the whole CVS repository on my laptop, and work against
that. Much more convenient, you can do diffs, checkouts, view histories,
all offline and quickly.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: How do you manage versions of your own code ?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 09:04:46AM +0530, Robins Tharakan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After going a bit of back and forth on different versions that I am working
> on I think I might as well ask how do you guys work on an open-source
> development project once you are disconnected ?
>
> I mean, if I do a svn co and start working, it wouldnt allow me to check in
> a version since its not a distributedVCS. If I use bzr-svn, it does
> checkout, but I still can't check in a half-way state since it tries to dump
> the patch to the online SVN too which of course fails.
>
> Apart from the current issue of me not having submit rights, how did you
> guys work on this when you don't have submit rights to a non-distributed VCS
> ?
> Did you just keep storing revision patches and patch / revert on the latest
> checked out revision as and when you needed to switch to an older version of
> your code ?
>
> (Btw, by version here I meant an older half-way-state of my own working
> code, not the PgAdmin version)

I'm never offline long enough for that to matter. Since you can do a diff
without being online, that's usually enough. If I do work on multiple
patches at the same time that aren't entirely isolated, I check out
multiple copies.

//Magnus