Обсуждение: User friendly messages in output pane

User friendly messages in output pane

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
Hi developers!

Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0  Beta 3 (Aug 10 2007, rev: 6546M). Client
Win XP, host: Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4 and Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8

Concerning In the SQL window:

If output is too long for the various tabs in the output pane, the
scroll bar is activated. The expected behaviour would be to have the
scrollbar at the top and cut text at the bottom. (Who starts reading
messages from the bottom?) And that is what happens, most of the time.
The various tabs seem to remember their respective current position when
switching between them, and that is a good thing, too.

However, in case of an error on execution pgadmin goes to the _end_ of
the text in the "Messages" tab. That's inconvenient, even more so, as
there are (superfluous?) blank lines at the end of error messages. It's
a bit of a trap, too, if the message makes (misleading) sense when read
from somewhere in the middle. Fooled me a couple of times.

Also, the "History" tab seems to get confused after some time. The
scrollbar goes to the top at first, but after a couple of executions it
choses a (random?) position in the text. Could not uncover the
systematic behind it.

Maybe there is a fix to go to the _top_ of the message per default all
the time?

Regards
Erwin

Re: User friendly messages in output pane

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi developers!
>
> Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0  Beta 3 (Aug 10 2007, rev: 6546M). Client
> Win XP, host: Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4 and Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8
>
> Concerning In the SQL window:
>
> If output is too long for the various tabs in the output pane, the
> scroll bar is activated. The expected behaviour would be to have the
> scrollbar at the top and cut text at the bottom. (Who starts reading
> messages from the bottom?) And that is what happens, most of the time.
> The various tabs seem to remember their respective current position when
> switching between them, and that is a good thing, too.
>
> However, in case of an error on execution pgadmin goes to the _end_ of
> the text in the "Messages" tab. That's inconvenient, even more so, as
> there are (superfluous?) blank lines at the end of error messages. It's
> a bit of a trap, too, if the message makes (misleading) sense when read
> from somewhere in the middle. Fooled me a couple of times.
>
> Also, the "History" tab seems to get confused after some time. The
> scrollbar goes to the top at first, but after a couple of executions it
> choses a (random?) position in the text. Could not uncover the
> systematic behind it.
>

> Maybe there is a fix to go to the _top_ of the message per default all
> the time?

We don't explicitly position those text boxes, but I've added a couple
of lines of code to send them to the top of the text at the end of every
query.

Thanks, Dave

Re: User friendly messages in output pane

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
dpage@postgresql.org wrote:
> Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
>
>> (...)
>> Maybe there is a fix to go to the _top_ of the message per default all
>> the time?
>>

> We don't explicitly position those text boxes, but I've added a couple
> of lines of code to send them to the top of the text at the end of every
> query.

I think, a little regression has sneaked in here.
When an error occurs on execution, pgAdmin normally leaves the focus in
the main pane sets the cursor to the position of the error in the code
New versions fail to do this if the "Messages" tab of the output pane is
not in the foreground at execution time. Instead they stop at selecting
the "Messages" tab.
v 1.7, for instance did not stop there.

Regards
Erwin

Re: User friendly messages in output pane

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> dpage@postgresql.org wrote:
>> Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
>>
>>> (...)
>>> Maybe there is a fix to go to the _top_ of the message per default all
>>> the time?
>>>

>> We don't explicitly position those text boxes, but I've added a couple
>> of lines of code to send them to the top of the text at the end of every
>> query.
>
> I think, a little regression has sneaked in here.
> When an error occurs on execution, pgAdmin normally leaves the focus in
> the main pane sets the cursor to the position of the error in the code
> New versions fail to do this if the "Messages" tab of the output pane is
> not in the foreground at execution time. Instead they stop at selecting
> the "Messages" tab.
> v 1.7, for instance did not stop there.

Fixed, thanks.

/D