Обсуждение: New dev build for Windows

New dev build for Windows

От
Dave Page
Дата:
I've uploaded a new development snapshot for Windows to
http://developer.pgadmin.org/snapshots/win32/pgadmin3-20070612.msi

This is just-before-beta code so there may be one or two more changes
before we freeze, but there is still plenty of testing that can be done :-)

In particular, please be sure to check that the online help behaves
sensibly now most of it is offloaded to the appropriate websites by
default, and that it continues to work as expected if redirected to
local copies.

In addition, the pl/pgsql & edbspl debugger could use more testing.
Currently this is still and EnterpriseDB only feature I'm afraid, but
I'm working on rectifying that. In the meantime, those of you wishing to
give it a whirl can download the latest builds of EnterpriseDB 8.2 from
www.enterprisedb.com.

Thanks, Dave.

Re: New dev build for Windows

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
Hi Dave!

I am on to it. :)

I was instructed to uninstall the previous snapshot prior to installing
this one. Other than that installation went off without a hitch.
A quick run over the issues I have reported recently:

As you requested it, I've had a look on the Help options. PostgreSQL,
EnterpriseDB and Slony Help open help for the according recent versions
as a new tabs in my Firefox just fine. The other options on the Help
menu work, too. I don't use local help files, they tend to be outdated.
The "FAQ" page seems a bit outdated, too:
    "Later versions of pgAdmin III (1.0.1 and up) will use ..."
That's almost news from a previous millennium. :p

Help on File->Options->General is outdated. Screen shots and text refer
to a previous version. Some settings are gone, others have been added.

Some of the chapters in the pgAdmin help, like "bug report", display
pages from the web inside the help tool. I wonder what rendering engine
is used for that. Probably IE? It doesn't tell. My policy is to avoid IE
where possible. (One can hardly get rid of it on Windows but the switch
to Linux takes time ..) Wouldn't it be ironic if a fine piece of free
software was to force the IE upon me once again? Generally, I prefer web
pages to be displayed in the browser - like Help ->FAQ does. That's more
of an opinion than a bug report, though.

Regards
Erwin

Quick run over recent issues (was: Re: New dev build for Windows)

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
Hi developers! Hi Dave!

Testing the new snapshot: pgAdmin III 1.7.0, rev 6357. Client Win XP,
hosts: Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8 and Debian Etch / PG 8.2.3.

A quick run over the issues I have reported recently:

 -   Type reverse engineering: fixed.
 -   Move View->'System Objects' to File->Options->Display: Looks good &
works.
!-  Much like I reported with the last snapshot, pgAdmin crashed on me
two times, after switching the system objects on / off, refreshing, and
then clicking around in the object tree. After that I have spent 15
minutes clicking like a madman, but no more crashes. Maybe something
needs to be initialized before it runs stably.
 -   Crash when hitting <del> in boolean field: fixed.
 -   Spurious line break in reverse engineered SQL for CREATE TABLE: fixed.
!- Issues with auto-indentation: partly fixed.
 -  Mysterious error messages concerning pldbg_get_target_info(..): none
so far, but that doesn't say much, yet..
!!- Crash on viewing properties of unique constraints: was believed to
be fixed, but is not, still crashes.

For auto-indetation and crash on constraints I will answer in full on
the respective threads.

Regards
Erwin

Re: New dev build for Windows

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi Dave!
>
> I am on to it. :)
>
> I was instructed to uninstall the previous snapshot prior to installing
> this one. Other than that installation went off without a hitch.

Err, yeah - should have mentioned that - sorry. With real releases we
ship an upgrade.bat file as well of course.

> A quick run over the issues I have reported recently:
>
> As you requested it, I've had a look on the Help options. PostgreSQL,
> EnterpriseDB and Slony Help open help for the according recent versions
> as a new tabs in my Firefox just fine. The other options on the Help
> menu work, too. I don't use local help files, they tend to be outdated.
> The "FAQ" page seems a bit outdated, too:
>    "Later versions of pgAdmin III (1.0.1 and up) will use ..."
> That's almost news from a previous millennium. :p

We don't get many faqs these days :-O !! Can someone please look over
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/faq/ and suggest any appropriate changes?

> Help on File->Options->General is outdated. Screen shots and text refer
> to a previous version. Some settings are gone, others have been added.

It has been updated - I think I just forgot to regenerate the CHM file.

> Some of the chapters in the pgAdmin help, like "bug report", display
> pages from the web inside the help tool. I wonder what rendering engine
> is used for that. Probably IE? It doesn't tell. My policy is to avoid IE
> where possible. (One can hardly get rid of it on Windows but the switch
> to Linux takes time ..) Wouldn't it be ironic if a fine piece of free
> software was to force the IE upon me once again? Generally, I prefer web
> pages to be displayed in the browser - like Help ->FAQ does. That's more
> of an opinion than a bug report, though.

On windows, if it's using a CHM help file (which it will be by default
for the pgAdmin help), it will use the Microsoft HTML Help viewer, which
will use IE. Can't do much about that, except to force it to use the
wxWidgets HTML Help viewer instead as we do on other platforms, but it's
not nearly as good.

Thanks, Dave