Обсуждение: Server discovery

Server discovery

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Hi Dave,

I'm a bit unhappy about the current server discovery feature.
First of all, on machines without pgsql wx will barf about a missing
registry key with a message box, quite ugly.

Second, the generated server info can't be edited. Well, currently this
isn't possible for manual entered servers either without registry
editing, but we should change that anyway: there's no reason why we
don't have a dlgServer.cpp except for "it's not done".

My thought was to push the service information into pgadmin registry
values when installing, so the settings can be adjusted later.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Server discovery

От
"Dave Page"

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Pflug [mailto:pgadmin@pse-consulting.de]
Sent: Tue 8/3/2004 11:50 AM
To: Dave Page
Cc: pgadmin-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Server discovery

> I'm a bit unhappy about the current server discovery feature.
> First of all, on machines without pgsql wx will barf about a missing
> registry key with a message box, quite ugly.

Ack, didn't think of that. Will fix.

> Second, the generated server info can't be edited. Well, currently this
> isn't possible for manual entered servers either without registry
> editing, but we should change that anyway: there's no reason why we
> don't have a dlgServer.cpp except for "it's not done".

Yup, was going to do that tonight. I was intending to add keys as I've done for lastdb and lastschema that can be
editted,at least using regedit initially. Such servers will retain their config, but remain 'auto-discovered' at each
startup.

> My thought was to push the service information into pgadmin registry
> values when installing, so the settings can be adjusted later.

Yup...

/D

Re: Server discovery

От
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

>>Second, the generated server info can't be edited. Well, currently this
>>isn't possible for manual entered servers either without registry
>>editing, but we should change that anyway: there's no reason why we
>>don't have a dlgServer.cpp except for "it's not done".
>

> Yup, was going to do that tonight. I was intending to add keys as I've done for lastdb and lastschema that can be
editted,at least using regedit initially. Such servers will retain their config, but remain 'auto-discovered' at each
startup.

That means additional/different keys?
If the services is rediscovered every time, how will you distinguish
them from the same server entered manually?

Autodiscovery on every startup might result in annoyingly popping up
servers you already changed manually to your needs. This seems undesirable.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Server discovery

От
"Dave Page"

Absolutely. I already did this for LastDatabase and LastSchema, which
instead of being stored as HKCU\Software\pgAdmin
III\Servers\LastSchemaNN as they are for manually added servers, are
stored as HKCU\Software\pgAdmin III\Servers\LastSchema-XXXX, where XXXX
is the short name of the installed service. That way, as long as the
user doesn't change the name of the service, the changed values will get
re-attached at the next startup.

I'm toying with adding the hostname into the mix as well, just to
prevent possible mixups wth roaming pofiles. Not sure how likely that
scenario is, but I guess it won't hurt.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Server discovery

От
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Frankly, this appears overdesigned to me.
Why not just adding discovered servers at installation time?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Server discovery

От
"Dave Page"

Because that involves venturing into the realms of MSI custom actions
(which can be a pita) and won't work for those of us that use snapshots.
Besides, the code is quite simple and is done now (with hostnames to
void roaming profile originating confusion).

Regards, Dave.