Обсуждение: backup plugin

backup plugin

От
Brian
Дата:
Any plans to make a backup plugin or option on the admin tool to backup
databases?

Re: backup plugin

От
Dave Page

Brian,

I have no intention of *ever* implementing such a plugin. The first time
someone's backup failed I'd be directly in the firing line :-).

Seriously though, you should make use of pg_dump/pg_dumpall on the server
end to perform your backups (I run pg_dumpall from a script fired by cron,
which then also dumps the whole system to DAT tape). It will always be the
most reliable method of backup, and reliability is by far the most important
thing with backups.

Regards, Dave.

Re: backup plugin

От
"Mark A. Taff"
Дата:
Brian,
    If you install OpenSHH (an open-source SSH client), you can access the
Linux command prompt from a DOS prompt.  You can then run any of the Linux
command line interfaces to PostgreSQL, including psql, pg_dump, etc.  This
works well for me if I just need quick access.  However, for something as
important as backups, running cron jobs (and checking from time to time to
make sure your data was actually backed up in a recoverable format!) is a
far safer approach.

Regards,

Mark Taff

> Any plans to make a backup plugin or option on the admin tool
> to backup databases?

Brian,

I have no intention of *ever* implementing such a plugin. The first time
someone's backup failed I'd be directly in the firing line :-).

Seriously though, you should make use of pg_dump/pg_dumpall on the server
end to perform your backups (I run pg_dumpall from a script fired by cron,
which then also dumps the whole system to DAT tape). It will always be the
most reliable method of backup, and reliability is by far the most important
thing with backups.

Regards, Dave.

Re: backup plugin

От
Salil Mohanty
Дата:
Hi Dave,
Is there any facility currently in postgresql to take
backup of the WAL logs? or differential backup? Or is
work on this thing in progress?

Salil.

--- "Mark A. Taff" <mark@libertycreek.net> wrote:
> Brian,
>     If you install OpenSHH (an open-source SSH client),
> you can access the
> Linux command prompt from a DOS prompt.  You can
> then run any of the Linux
> command line interfaces to PostgreSQL, including
> psql, pg_dump, etc.  This
> works well for me if I just need quick access.
> However, for something as
> important as backups, running cron jobs (and
> checking from time to time to
> make sure your data was actually backed up in a
> recoverable format!) is a
> far safer approach.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Taff

http://sports.yahoo.com

Re: backup plugin

От
Dave Page

Hi Salil,

That's not really our territory - perhaps you should ask on the
pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org list.

Regards, Dave.