Performance Enhancement/Fix for Array Utility Functions

От Mike Lewis
Тема Performance Enhancement/Fix for Array Utility Functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I noticed while doing work with very large arrays that several
functions such as array_length detoast the entire array instead of
only what is required.

I found the solution to be just unpacking the header portion of the
array and ignoring the rest.  Since the header (including the
dimensions) is variable length, I just unpack the size of what the
header would be if it had MAXDIM dimensions. (Patch is attached)

I made a test case to demonstrate performance gains (watch out, it
creates a big table):

create temporary table foo as
    select array_agg(i) as a
    from (
        select generate_series(1,10000000) as i) as bar;
\timing
select array_length(a, 1) from foo; -- Run a few times.  First time will be cold

Results (after warming up)

Before patch:
Time: 6.251 ms
Time: 6.078 ms