Re: ALTER TABLE atomicity with sub-commands

От Erik Wienhold
Тема Re: ALTER TABLE atomicity with sub-commands
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 2024-04-02 16:40 +0200, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-altertable.html
>
> It is not entirely clear (to me) that ALTER TABLE statements with
> comma-separated sub-commands are atomic. Despite of saying "perform X
> actions in one operation" in one of the examples, it is not explicitly said
> that the operation will be rolled back if one of the sub-commands fails.
>
> From the examples, we have:
>
> ALTER TABLE distributors
>     ALTER COLUMN address TYPE varchar(80),
>     ALTER COLUMN name TYPE varchar(100);
>
> Will the `address` column type change rollback if the `ALTER COLUMN name
> TYPE varchar(100)` subcommand fails?
>
> Currently reading the docs for version 15.

Yes, ALTER TABLE, like all statements, is one atomic change.

From BEGIN[1]:

    By default (without BEGIN), PostgreSQL executes transactions in
    “autocommit” mode, that is, each statement is executed in its own
    transaction and a commit is implicitly performed at the end of the
    statement (if execution was successful, otherwise a rollback is
    done).

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-begin.html

--
Erik