Re: Need help to identify stray row in a table

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Need help to identify stray row in a table
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2010/4/23 சிவகுமார் மா <masivakumar@gmail.com>:
> 2010/4/23 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:
>>
>> You haven't given enough information to make any sort of reasonable
>> diagnosis.  Most people are going to assume the problem is on your end
>> but it's possible to know for sure without having the trigger function
>> at the very least.
>>

> Thanks merlin for the reply. There are two functions,
>
> 1. for inserts on stock transaction table, calculating value and
> inserting in transaction_value table.
>
> 2. the other is on transaction_value table itself, to update values of
> child transactions of row being inserted/updated/deleted.
>
> The second function is more than 200 lines.  I have attached a text
> file containing trigger and function code.
>
> Thanks for any insights you can provide.

There's way too much logic going on there for me to test all the
different cases.

I suspect this is your problem: you triggered a case somehow which is
not handled properly via your labyrinth of switches and loops.  I
highly doubt this is a case of database corruption.  My advice here
would be to not rely on procedural code to guard against something
which can and should be enforced by a constraint.   If something is
wrong (source_id being null), declare it to be wrong -- that way the
next time this happens the constraint will bounce the transaction and
you can catch the problem when it happens as opposed to reverse
engineering it.

merlin