Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

От Vivek Khera
Тема Re: Using RSYNC for replication?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

TL> A final note is that I doubt this would be very efficient: wouldn't
TL> rsync have to ship entire table files (and entire WAL log files) for
TL> even the most piddling change?

No, rsync is smart that way.  It checksums hunks of the files, and
sends only the parts that change.  I did a test and the first rsync
took me 4 hours.  The second one the next day took about 1.5 hours.

I was moving the data to another box, and the time to
dump/restore/analyze the tables was enormous.  Using rsync made it
faster.  First I did the rsync live (4 hours), then shut down the
source postmaster, did the rsync again (only 1 hour) and brought up
the new server.  Downtime was 1 hour rather than 8.

However for backup purposes, it makes no sense.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/