Re: Urgent need of (paid) PostgreSQL support in New

От Vivek Khera
Тема Re: Urgent need of (paid) PostgreSQL support in New
Дата
Список pgsql-general

TL> There are varying opinions about that.  Some say "push PG's
TL> shared-buffers setting as high as you can make it".  Some say "use a
TL> conservatively small shared-buffers setting and expect the kernel to use
TL> the rest of physical memory as kernel disk buffers".  But both camps

I think that once your DB size gets big enough, there will be queries
that suck no matter what, because you have to scan through a boatload
of disk pages.  Basically, once your working set size is bigger than
the shared buffer space, you're hosed.  Making shared buffer space
bigger than 50% of RAM will suck, as Tom said.  I used to do that, now
I have about 25-30% of RAM as shared bufs.  It still sucks because the
data size is too big.  I've got the fastest disks I can get, and split
the data across multiple spindles using RAID5 (yes, I could probably
get faster with RAID 1+0 or something, but it is too late for that
now...)

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/