Re: Postgres and Tools Intro?

От Randy Yates
Тема Re: Postgres and Tools Intro?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Richard,

Thanks for writing. Basically I'd like to know what the core
applications/tools are and what some of the other more exotic tools
are. For example, pgadmin looks like it's gone through a bazillion
versions. Which is the latest/greatest?  What exactly does it do?

If I want to connect to postgres securely from a remote location
over the net, what are my options? Is that part of the postgres
ODBC driver, or is another layer required for the security part?

Why should or shouldn't I use ODBC for connecting remotely?

More in the exotic territory, are there tools for translating database
schemas (I would like to move my MS Access database into postgres)?
Is there a tool for converting a postgres query or table into an
MS Access .mdb file? This would be very useful, the scenario being
that the "big" database resides in postgres on a remote server with
a browser interface, but users can download "snippets" of data (or maybe
even the whole tamale) in Access format to their local machines.

Got any suggestions?

--Randy

> Randy Yates wrote:
>> This has probably been asked before so please be gracious. I
>> have looked on the postgres site and didn't find anything
>> "satisfying."
>> Is there *good* overview of postgres and associated utilities?
>
> Hmm - not for the family as a whole. Part of the problem is that there
> are quite a few add-on tools. The postgresql.org docs cover the
> database quite well - between the reference manuals and the FAQ it
> gives a good picture.
>
> What particular aspects are you interested in? I'm sure we can find
> people who can help.
>
> --
>    Richard Huxton
>    Archonet Ltd

%  Randy Yates                  % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %                    and kiss her interface,
%%% 919-577-9882                %            til then, I'll leave her alone."
%%%% <yates@ieee.org>           %        'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr