Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1

От
Тема Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Дата
Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
Список pgsql-hackers
-------Original Message-------
From: Dennis Bjorklund
Date: 05/01/05 17:57:44
To: Alvaro Herrera
Cc: adnandursun@asrinbilisim.com.tr;
pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Feature freeze date for 8.1
On Sun, 1 May 2005, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Well, if process A loses the connection to the client,
then the
> transaction will be rolled back and other processes will
be able to
> continue.
Never. Process do waits until it is killed or canceled. for
example unplugged network cable or crashes client machine
or in case of lost of network connection
>If the other end of a tcp/ip connection just disapears,
for example if the
>network cable is cut off then in linux it can take up to 2
hours as
>default for it to close the connection. Normally if a
client application
>dies then the client OS cleans up and closes the socket so
that the server
>knows about it.
>There are some settings that one can alter to change the
time it waits
>before probing and killing the connection, ie
tcp_keepalive_time in
>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/.
But TCP experts don't advice to change this setting.However
this is not suitable method for this purposes..
>It's documented in "man tcp" that say that it will take
2h11m as default
>to kill of such a connection.
>Pg could of course also implement some pinging protocl
that should be done
>every now and then by the client so that the server knows
that it is
>alive. For now you just have to lower the global settings
as the one above
>if you want it to handle it better.
If a database wants to get bigger on the usage these
settings like this must be implemented.tcp_keepalive_time
setting is for TCP. It is not for database connection. if
so, Oracle also recommends it. But we advice to ppl to use
PostgreSQL instead of Oracle and others because it is open
source.. And how we convince the ppl who wants to use
PostgreSQL. What do we recommend the ppl ? :  1. change tcp_keepalive_time setting or  2. restart database or  3. find
andkill the pid etc..

This is not good things for them.
We sometime discuss here for geographic system datatypes
and feature. First, a database must have real database
features, not extreme features.
Best Regards
Adnan DURSUN
ASRIN Bilişim Ltd.Şti
TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an
index scan if your     joining column's datatypes do not match

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
От: Andrew - Supernews
Сообщение: Network write errors (was: Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1)