Re: how can we get total records in pg server?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: how can we get total records in pg server?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Bhuvan,

> the need is to get TOTAL RECORDS of all the THREE DATABASES or
> atleast
> TOTAL RECORDS of ONE DATABASE.

I guess that many of us are confused by your question.  The total
records in a table are easily counted -- just use count(*).  However, if
your database has many tables, what significance does totalling together
all of the records from those different tables have?  If I have a
reference list with 8 items, do I want to add it to a data table with
300,000 records to make 300,008?  No.

Further, PostgreSQL does not support multi-database operations of any
kind.  So if the data in those three databases needs to interact, you
should probably combine them into one database.

I can't help but feel that there are some basic database concepts you
haven't yet acquired.  Perhaps you've come to Postgres from Filemaker,
and are confused by the difference between "database" and "table".  If
so, you need to start with some basic education before proceeding on to
building a DB application.

In english, I would recommend: "PostgreSQL, Introduction and Concepts"
by Bruce Momjian, as well as "Database Design For Mere Mortals".  If you
would prefer another language, poll the list -- someone may be familiar
with other texts.

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com