Re: linking from SQL Server

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: linking from SQL Server
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Oleg,

> I am wondering if anybody tried to link PostgreSQL tables/databases
>  from
> SQL Server.
> As I understand SQL Server uses OLE DB for this kind of connections.
> wonder if this is possible at all with postgres.

In theory, yes.  In practice, no.

According to the documentation, SQL-Server supports any Win32 ODBC
 driver ... which would include PostgresODBC.  However, in practice,
 only Microsoft-supplied drivers actually work; ODBC drivers for
 Postgres and MySQL mysteriously do not function with SQL-Server (even
 though they do work with MS Access).

I think this is incompetence on Microsoft's part rather than malice;
 all of this works through DTS, a utility which is responsible for over
 300 Knowledge Base issues.

Note:  I have not tried any of this with SQL Server 2000, just 7.0 sp3.

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
    and non-profit organizations.      San Francisco    and non-profitorganizations.      San Francisco