Re: sharing data accross several databases

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: sharing data accross several databases
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Bob,
> I am designing 2 databases :> - the 1st relates to flasks> - the 2nd relates to cylinders>
> Both flasks and cylinders will be shipped accross the
> world and I need to keep track of check out dates,
> shipping method, destination, etc. These data will be of
> the same type for both databases.
So, why are you designing two seperate databases? It seems to me that you only need one database, with relevant tables
carryinga "Type" column of "Flask" or "Cylinder". Seperate databases will give you all kinds of headaches you don't
need.
> Questions :> -----------> 1) Is a 3rd database the solution ?
No. One, single, database is the solution.
> 2) I would like to keep on using foreign keys (e.g.
> between a shipped item and the destination location)
PostgreSQL does not permit access of multiple databases from SQL (this was a design decision, based on the project's
interpretationof the SQL92 standard). If you pursue you current approach, you will be forced to use middleware (such as
JSPor J2EE or Perl::DBI) to access both of your databases at once ... considerable trouble for no benefit.

-Josh Berkus

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Stephan Szabo
Сообщение: Re: list triggers ?
От: chester c young
Сообщение: Re: sharing data accross several databases