Re: It's dead and won't get up!!

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: It's dead and won't get up!!
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
David,

> Thanks A TON!!!

You're welcome.  One of the (many) great things about PostgreSQL is that
backup/restore is extremely simple.

> I kind of stumbled upon that track already.  The original problem
> here is
> that I'm running out of space.  largest hunk that I can borrow right
> now is
> in /home - almost 9gb.  I'm moving files there now hoping that they
> will
> fit.

While you can locate your /data files anywhere you want, you're going to
want to re-partition and straighten things out.  Linux (like windows)
gets *very* unhappy when the \ partition runs out of space.  You can
even get a kernel panic, and then you're hosed.

The easiest way to do this is to add a second HDD (only about $100 for
an IBM or Segate!).  Then, do the following:

mkdir /tmp/var/
mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 /tmp/opt/
    (this assumes that the new drive is the second one on the first IDE
chan and has one partition).
cp -r -p /opt/* /tmp/opt/
umount /tmp/opt/
then edit /etc/fstab, or use your favorite partition manager, to
recognize the new HDD as /opt/
then reboot

This process allows you to move all of the opt files to a new partition.
Please be very, very, careful executing this!

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com