Re: Re: Same question about PostgreSql

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Re: Same question about PostgreSql
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Nils,

> I always thought that Pl/PgSQL functions where 'stored procedures'.
> Probably I'm wrong, but whats the difference between a Pl/PgSQL
> function
> and a stored procedure? (just curious).

Postgres functions have really expanded the concept of function, to the
point of *almost* being stored procedures.  However, there are still a
few things missing:

1. Stored procedures must be able to return a rowset, possibly mutiple
rowsets.
2. Stored procedures usually accept an indefinite number of parameters.
3. Stored procedures should be capable of logging their activites.
4. Stored procedures should have access to the full range of DB control
language, includign cursors, transactions, and error handling.

Of the 4. I'm only certain that 1. is part of the SQL92 spec.  Any more
authoritative opinions?

-Josh