Re: function does not exist error...

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: function does not exist error...
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Dan,

> Can someone help me figure out why my trigger can't meet my function?
> Other than the obvious reason that I'm a total beginner, and I don't
> know what the heck I'm doing. :-)

Welcome to the NOVICE list, then.

> After I got the CreateTrigger error, I reran the CreateFunction query
> just to see what would happen:
>
> recordings=> CREATE FUNCTION check_participant(varchar) RETURNS
> opaque AS '

Here's your problem; you've created a function with a varchar parameter

> ERROR:  CreateTrigger: function check_participant() does not exist

... and you're then calling it with no parameters.  check_participant()
and check_participant('some string') are two different functions, as
would be check_participant(Numeric, Int) if you created it.

However, the function you have is otherwise inappropriate; it returns
values to the screen (not possible with a trigger), takes a parameter,
and does not return NEW.   What are you trying to do, exactly?

-Josh Berkus