Re: ODBC Error

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: ODBC Error
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Jillian,

> When I insert content from my WYSIWYG editor (eWebEditPro by Ektron)
> sometimes receive the following error.  I don't believe the problem
> to be
> ColdFusion related, as the problem cannot be replicated on MySQL
> (which I'd
> really rather not have to use).  I'm using Postgresql on RedHat.  The
> datatype is text, which I know is virtually unlimited.  Anybody have
> this
> happen before?  I've also posted the CFQUERY from action.cfm below
> this
> error.

No, it's ODBC related.  Most ODBC drivers regognize TEXT as
VARCHAR(1000 or 5000), and give you errors when you pass a longer
string.  Worse ODBC drivers have an absolute limit on the length of
query strings ... for example, ADO-ODBC for VB 6.0 cut you off at 8000
chars total, as I recall.

Remember that when the ODBC standard was written, several databases had
a length limit of *48 characters* on text fields.   So really long text
fields have been a chronic problem of legacy bugs.

What ODBC driver are you using?  Where did it come from?  What's your
client platform (NT or Linux?)   Figure out the specifics, and then
re-post your question to the mailing list for the PGAdmin project
(pgadmin.postgresql.org) who I believe are the current ODBC
maintainers.

Keep in mind that, if your ODBC client is supplied by ColdFusion,
  you'll have to take it up with them.

-Josh Berkus