Re: LEFT OUTER JOIN problem

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: LEFT OUTER JOIN problem
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Ludek,
>   I have this problem (maybe only in my head ;o)):

Yup.  Or it's a language problem.  There's a fair Czech community of
PgSQL users, so hopefully you can get in touch with some of them.  (Your
English is better than any of my 2nd languages -- it's just that
techincal docs are hard enough to understand in one's native language!)

> SELECT * FROM table1 LEFT OUTER JOIN table2 ON (table1.id =
> table2.table1_id)
>   LEFT OUTER JOIN table3 ON (table2.id = table3.table2_id);
>
> This select return me only one row:
> 1,'blabla',1,1,'hello',NULL,NULL,NULL
>
> But I think it may return two rows:
> 1,'blabla',1,1,'hello',NULL,NULL,NULL
> 2,'arrrgh',NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL

Yes, it will.  The query you want is:
SELECT * FROM table1 JOIN table2 ON (table1.id =table2.table1_id)  LEFT OUTER JOIN table3 ON (table2.id =
table3.table2_id);

-Josh