Re: optimizing queries and indexes...

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: optimizing queries and indexes...
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Stephan,

Ah.  Well, you answer optimization questions so often that I'd assumed
that you had a hand in it.  Is the optimizer all Tom and Bruce's work?

>  At least on 7.1 and below, if you have a dummy value that is very
> common
> but doesn't really pass any information (like 'N/A' for example),
> consider
> using NULL instead.  The optimizer statistics can often be thrown
> off-kilter by values that are much more common than the real data.

Personally, I cannot reccomend this.  There are a number of
normalization problems with using NULL instead of 'N/A' or 0 or another
"no" value.  Some database theorists (Fabian Pascal & co.) even propose
the elimination of NULL from the SQL spec on the grounds that it
encourages bad DB design.  As such, I have a hard time reccommending any
course that involves adding *more* NULLs to the database, especially for
a marginal query performance gain.

To phrase it another way:  Optimization problems cost you seconds.  DB
Design and normalization problems cost you *days*.

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Вложения

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: optimizing queries and indexes...
Сообщение: Re: optimizing queries and indexes...