Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Tom,

> The trouble with pg_dump -o is that after reload, the OID
> generator
> will be set to max(any OID in the dumped data).  So a
> dump & reload
> doesn't do anything to postpone OID-wraparound Ragnarok.
>
> As for the likelihood of overflow, figure 4G / tuple
> creation rate
> for your installation (not database, but whole
> installation controlled
> by one postmaster).  Unless your installation has just
> one active
> table, per-table sequence values look like a better bet.

Somebody (urgently) needs to tell all of the above to Bruce
Momjian (I've cc'd him); his book-in-the-making points up
OID's as a convenient and universal way to identify and link
tuples (chapter 7) and doen't mention these problems.  Who
can I bug about how useless the above makes OID's?

Thanks for the warning, and thanks Michael for the
suggestion; I'll use it and send you all back notes on how
it affects performance.

-Josh

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases
Сообщение: RE: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases