Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?

От Mike Kenney
Тема Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Raymond Chui <raymond.chui@noaa.gov> writes:

> I am just start look at PostgreSQL for our Redhat Linux.
> I am wonder why most of people choose MySQL in Linux
> world rather than PostgreSQL? PostgreSQL has 15 years
> history (I never know that before) which is much longer
> than MySQL. Also PostgreSQL supports a lot of things
> which MySQL has not support yet.

This is just my personal opinion (of course).  Several years back when folks
were starting to use SQL databases as the back end for web sites on Linux,
PostgreSQL was a bit of a dog -- slow and prone to memory leaks.  MySQL on
the other hand was very fast and although it lacked many of the features of
PostgreSQL it was more than adequate for many web site needs.  It was in the
right place at the right time.

Things seemed to have changed now, PostgreSQL has improved tremendously and
on some benchmarks is considerably faster than MySQL ...

--
Mike
Mike Kenney