Re: passwords and 7.3

От Nicolas Kowalski
Тема Re: passwords and 7.3
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> writes:

> I know it's a bunch of programming work, but if you use "unencrypted"
> passwords (i.e., crypt-style rather than MD5) for the users in the db,
> could you not write a program that reads the pg_user table directly, and
> then updates those passwords that need updating?

Currently, our external password file looks like this :

kowalski:<crypted-password-here>
phppgadmin:+
webcalendar:+

And so on. Regular Unix users have their passwords set from the NIS
passwd database (standard crypt method), and PostgreSQL-specific users
have their passwords defined in pg_shadow (no encryption there). This
last use prevents us from using PAM-style authentication I presume.

The pg_hba config file contains the following line :

host         all         <network-address>   255.255.255.0       password passwd

If the passwords are stored in their "crypt form" in pg_shadow, yes I
can write such a script, then call it through cron; but as I
understand the docs, passwords are stored using MD5 method, which
makes all our passwords unusable, am I wrong ?

--
Nicolas