Re: BLOBs etc

От Thomas Hallgren
Тема Re: BLOBs etc
Дата
Re: BLOBs etc
Список pgsql-jdbc
Kris
> I'm not clear what your advocating in concrete terms.  A new pseudo type
> "binary data" that could be used until it needs to convert it into a
> concrete type?  When does this conversion have to happen?

Couldn't this be limited to the client/server protocol? There are 4
cases that will fail today. If you attempt to:

1. stream lob data from the client for storage in a bytea.
2. send a bytea data "by value" for storage in a LOB.
3. read LOB data that is passed as a bytea.
4. read bytea data that is really a LOB.

As you pointed out earlier, it should be possible to make the client
handle cases #3 and #4 so what's left for the server is to deal with #1
and #2. That doesn't sound like rocket science to me.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren