Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core

От Thomas Hallgren
Тема Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David Fetter wrote:

>On a very closely related note, what's the latest on the integration
>of PL/Java and PL/J?

Last time I spoke to Laszlo and Dave about this, we discussed the
following solution:

- PL/Java should be profiled as a "tight Java integration", i.e. Java
executes in the same VM as the backend.
- PL/J should be profiled as a generic and language agnostic way of
executing out-of-process calls. The PL/J framework can be used to
integrate with other virtual VM's then Java (such as Mono for instance).

This makes PL/Java and PL/J to completely different products and both
producs have its own motivation. In addition we concluded that:

- In order to maximize the outcome of our efforts and avoid head-on
competition, PL/Java should _not_ enter the "loose Java integration"
scene (i.e. remote JVM) and PL/J should _not_ enter the "tight Java
integration" scene.
- An effort must be made to make the PostgreSQL "Java as a procedural
language" user experience as compatible as possible between PL/Java and
a PL/J solution that uses a remote Java VM.
- A new project was spawned (see http://j4sql.codehaus.org) where the
PL/Java and PL/J teams make a joint effort to create an abstraction
layer that allows a developer to write stored procedures and functions
in a database independent way.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
От: David Fetter
Сообщение: Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core