Re: Why can't lseek the STDIN_FILENO?

От wen-yi
Тема Re: Why can't lseek the STDIN_FILENO?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
OK, I see, I'm so sorry for my action.
I will ask in cpplang slack community in the future.
And really thanks for your advice.

Your,
Wen Yi

From: "John McKown" <john.archie.mckown@gmail.com>;
Date: Sat, Jun 24, 2023 11:02 AM
Cc: "pgsql-general"<pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org>;
Subject: Re: Why can't lseek the STDIN_FILENO?

My best advice would be to ask a C language question on a C language forum. This forum is really only for questions about the SQL language for the PostgreSQL database. I.e. no MariaDB, MySQL, MS SQL questions.

First, you didn't say what OS and she'll you're using. I an guessing BASH and Linux.

Second, you did NO error checking. I would purely guess that the lseek() is getting a return value of -1, probably with an error of ESPIPE.

The bottom line from the above post is that STDIN is not seekable when it is a terminal.