Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.

От Devin L. Ganger
Тема Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:03:57 -0800, Mike Cox <mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>  Devin L. Ganger wrote:

> > I think you're pursuing this backwards, Mike. You should contact the
> > current owner of the present mail-to-news gateway and build some sort of
> > consensus with *him* on what the problem and proposed solution is, before
> > trying to create a solution that will only muddy the waters up even
> > farther.
> >
> > This person made a choice to use Big 8 namespace on his server (and other
> > servers). His server, his rules. Maybe he can be brought to the table to
> > discuss why that isn't the easy fix he thought it was and figure out what
> > the best way to go is from here.

>  That is way beyond my technical scope I'm afraid.  I wouldn't know what the
>  correct solution would be.

No one ever said you have to do it *alone*. There are folks here who
would be more than willing to *help* you do it, but they're not going
to do it for you.

>  Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>, seems very knowledgable about this,
>  and I would be pleased if you could mail the postgresql list person
>  about this discussion and Russ's email address.

Russ is a busy person; don't be so quick to volunteer his time for him
unless you're damn sure you have his permission. Even if he were not a
busy person, most people consider it to be rude to be volunteered
without their consent.

>  Basically if the mailing list-news-gateway doesn't want to be in the big 8
>  then I'm not going to continue in that process.

Which is fair, but since you're the person who *did* kick this off, you
should probably be the person to email the owner and ask him if he would
be willing to have a conversation with you about the best way to proceed
from here.

You should also probably take a step back and contact the group mentor
list <group-mentors@lists.eyrie.org> and get some advice and participation
from the folks there, no matter which way you intend to pursue this.
Again, there are people who will help, but you need to be willing to run
point on this even though it's likely not going to be the slam-dunk you
thought it would be initially.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin@thecabal.org>
"Aikido is based around the central precept of letting an attack take

Сообщение: Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.
Сообщение: Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.