How to get most frequent and least frequent values in a column?

От Matthew Wilson
Тема How to get most frequent and least frequent values in a column?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm a noob SQL user, crossing over from SAS.  I have a table with about
200k rows and one of the columns is empssn, which holds the employee
social security number.  The same empssn may appear in lots of different
rows.  I want to get a list of the 40 top empssns, sorted by the number
of times they appear in the table. I also want a list of the very rarest
empssns (ones that only appear once or twice).

Can anyone help me with this?  BTW, this isn't a homework problem.

TIA.

Matt