PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta1 and diet libc

От Andreas Krennmair
Тема PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta1 and diet libc
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I'm trying to PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta1 together with diet libc
<http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/>. diet libc is a small libc designed for
getting small, statically linked binaries. In the past, this has often
shown that programs were running faster. So, my current goal is to get
PostgreSQL running together with diet libc. So far, PostgreSQL compiles
and links when you configure PostgreSQL with the following parameters:

CC="/opt/diet/bin/diet -Os gcc -D_BSD_SOURCE -nostdinc" ./configure \
--without-readline --without-zlib --disable-shared

(you can remove --without-{readline,zlib} if you installed these two
libraries for diet libc).

One problem that I have with installation is the following thing:
./zic -d /usr/local/pgsql/share/timezone ./data/africa ./data/antarctica \
./data/asia ./data/australasia ./data/europe ./data/northamerica \
./data/southamerica ./data/pacificnew ./data/etcetera ./data/factory \
./data/backward ./data/systemv ./data/solar87 ./data/solar88 \
./data/solar89
"./data/europe", line 219: line too long
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/pgsql/postgresql-8.0.0beta1/src/timezone'
make: *** [install] Error 2

But that's fixed easily by deleting a comment that is too long (same
thing in line 1025, BTW). I then followed the steps described in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/installation.html.

And that's where I'm stuck right now:

postgres@tintifax:/usr/local/pgsql$ bin/initdb -D data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory data ... ok
creating directory data/global ... ok
creating directory data/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory data/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory data/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory data/base ... ok
creating directory data/base/1 ... ok
creating directory data/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in data/base/1 ... FATAL:  XX000: failed to
initialize lc_monetary to "C"
LOCATION:  InitializeGUCOptions, guc.c:2337
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: failed
initdb: removing contents of data directory "data"
postgres@tintifax:/usr/local/pgsql$

As an important note you have to know that diet libc's support for all
the NLS and i18n/l10n-related stuff is largely incomplete and works so
far that common software compiles and runs (this is also one of diet
libc's secondary design goals, to keep out a lot of complexity,
especially when it's about features you will most likely not need on
embdded Linux systems). Any hints on how to get PostgreSQL running
together with diet libc anyway?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas Krennmair