should this be a trigger or a rule?

От marc@oscar.eng.cv.net (Marc Spitzer)
Тема should this be a trigger or a rule?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
I have 3 tables: pings, curr_state, ping_log and here is what I want
to happen:
when I insert a row into pings it checks to see if the ping was
sucessful or not.  Then it checks the current state of the interface
in curr_state table and if they match insert the row.  If they do not
match then update curr_state and insert a row into ping_log.

I am not askng anybody to write it for me, I just want to know what is
the prefered PG method to do this.  Here is my table defs:
drop table pings;

create table pings (
cm_mac macaddr,
ts timestamp,