Re: Truncation of char, varchar, bit, varbit types (fwd)

От jdassen@cistron.nl (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Тема Re: Truncation of char, varchar, bit, varbit types (fwd)
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> SQL and Postgres differ in behaviour if the value of a char or varchar
> type exceeds the declared length.  Postgres cuts off the value, SQL
> requires to raise an error.
>
> In particular, the compliant behaviour is:

> I think this behaviour is desirable over the old one because it makes the
> char and varchar types useful in the first place.

AOL! (Although to ease migration, it would be nice if one could switch
between treating it as an error or a warning for the next few releases).

Ray
--
USDoJ/Judge Jackson: "Microsoft has performed an illegal operation and will
be shut down."James Turinsky in alt.sysadmin.recovery