Re: WAL does not recover gracefully from out-of-disk-sp ace

От Ian Lance Taylor
Тема Re: WAL does not recover gracefully from out-of-disk-sp ace
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev@SECTORBASE.COM> writes:

> > But we need it regardless --- if you didn't want a fully-allocated WAL
> > file, why'd you bother with the original seek-and-write-1-byte code?
>
> I considered this mostly as hint for OS about how log file should be
> allocated (to decrease fragmentation). Not sure how OSes use such hints
> but seek+write costs nothing.

Doing a seek to a large value and doing a write is not a hint to a
Unix system that you are going to write a large sequential file.  If
anything, it's a hint that you are going to write a sparse file.  A
Unix kernel will optimize by not allocating blocks you aren't going to
write to.

Ian

TIP 97: Oh this age!  How tasteless and ill-bred it is.    -- Gaius Valerius Catullus