Re: union and limit

От Hegyvari Krisztian
Тема Re: union and limit
Дата
Список pgsql-general
By adding the parantheses, you corrected the syntax problem. If the
result is what you want (i.e. taking the limited result of the two queries
and unite them) then you are done. You told PostgreSQL to treat the two
queries as subqueries.

Hegyvari Krisztian

>>> "Ben-Nes Michael" <miki@canaan.co.il> 08/27/02 01:20pm >>>

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > i tried to send the following querry:
> >
> > select * from table limit 3,0 UNION ALL select * from table limit 3,0;
> >
> > This querry returned me an error so i put each select in parenthesis and
it
> > worked.
> >
> > Is this the way to solve it ?
> > if it is, i think it should be in the docs.
>

> If you read carefully the syntax for the SELECT from
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-select.html
>
> you will see that the limit clause in the first select is not allowed
> there. Don't forget the LIMIT applies to the entire result set not the
last
> select making up the union.
>
> So in short, that is how it's supposed to work so there's no need to
document
> it.

Yes but, if i add parenthesis  around each select, it is working.
But i wonder if its ok to use parenthesis around each select.