Re: Transaction Exception Question

От Ian Harding
Тема Re: Transaction Exception Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Create a record for every location for every item and leave quantity null.  Then it is always an update.

Or,  wait for nested transactions.

I used MSSQL Server and grew extremely tired of the default behaviour which is "ignore all errors, just do what you
can"and the unbelievalbe Rube Goldgberg workarounds required to check each error code and then roll back, but wait,
that'sonly if @@TRANCOUNT > @@TRANCOUNT was at the start of this function, unless...  Ugh.

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549
mailto: iharding@tpchd.org

We have only two things to worry about:  That things will never get
back to normal, and that they already have.

>>> Jon Swinth <jswinth@atomicpc.com> 08/13/02 10:42AM >>>
Thanks Scott for your reply.

I don't agree that an insert/update/delete error should automatically abort
the transaction.  You have not provided for the fact that the error may be
handled.  I will give you an example that makes my case.

Lets say you have an inventory table.  The inventory table has a primary key
of an integer and a unique key of location and product.  The unique key makes
sure that there is only one record for each product against a single
location.  Now imagine that you have a high volume database with many clients
and you have a process that attempts to put quantity of a product into a
location.  That process would first select to see if the record already
existed so it could be update and then insert a row when it wasn't found.
Now imagine that this is just part of a long running transaction and that
multiple clients will want to put more of the same product in the same
location.

Here is what happens with Postgre:  Client A runs the process sees that there
is no record, inserts, and goes on to the next thing to be done in the same
transaction.  Client B runs the process, sees that there is no record because
Client A has not commited, attempts an insert, and blocks until Client A
commit or rollback.  Client A commits, Client B gets an exception and is now
forced to rollback everything else in the transaction.

Here is what happens with another DB (ex. Oracle) that doesn't abort the
transaction:  When client B gets the exception, the exception is caught by
the process, the process selects back the newly created row from Client A,
and the existing record is updated.

You may not think that this would happen very often, but my experience says
otherwise.  As the number of clients goes up and the DB machine begins to
slow down from the strain, this can happen a great deal.

Just because a statement has been issued that results in an error does not
automatically mean that (1) all the other statements in the transaction are
not valid and (2) that the application code does not have a work around for
that error.  Whether the transaction should be rolled back or not is a
question for the application/client, not the DB.