Re: Postgresql/linux speed + reliability

От Ian Harding
Тема Re: Postgresql/linux speed + reliability
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Any true database server with a well written application will be far more resistant to data corruption than MS Access.
Thisis true as a matter of course due to the data storage format Access uses (whatever it is) and the fact that they
don'tuse transactions.  People smarter than me on this list can tell you exactly why, all I know is that I have never
hada data corruption problem in PostgreSQL, and I had many in Access.

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549
mailto: iharding@tpchd.org

>>> Eel <eel@javabox.com> 02/15/02 08:24AM >>>
Hans,
   Thanks but I'm not sure you understood what I was saying.  I'm
considering switching to Postgresql from VB using Access database
which is very unreliable.  From what you're saying MS applications can
cause problems that have nothing to do with Postgresql.  In that
event, I guess any SQL server with MS clients will have the same
problem.  Am I right?

   If an MS app crashes, that's one thing.  I'm more worried about
what happens to a Postgresql server when it does.  Does it corrupt the
database?  You're saying MS sends bogus records.  I think that would
be an issue with the ODBC driver.  Is that very stable?  My
architecture allows me to cut MS out out of the loop to a large
extent.

Thanks