Large Tables/clustering/terrible performance of Postgresql

От Michael McAlpine
Тема Large Tables/clustering/terrible performance of Postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Why does Postgres have such poor response times on LIKE queries.

In my database I have 1 table of 3.5 million rows.  I try the follogin search

select * from table1 where name like 'SMITH, JO%';

this query takes 1:30 seconds to return the matching row.

I have physically order the table by name and added an index to name and performed a vacuum analyze to see if that
helps. but still 1:30 for a result.

I have built the same setup on a MS SQL Server database and get response times of 1 to 2 seconds for the same query.

Any tips suggestions etc.. would be appreciated

Michael McAlpine