Re: Postgresql 8.2.4 on linux-sparc problem

От Lew
Тема Re: Postgresql 8.2.4 on linux-sparc problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Lew wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Before you get into that, try reducing these parameters:
>>
>>> maintenance_work_mem = 1572864
>>> work_mem = 1048576
>>
>> They are way too high, especially the second one.
>
> So if 1.5 MB maintenance_work_mem and 1 MB work_mem are "way too high",
> why are the default values in the postgresql.conf on installation 16 MB
> and 1 MB, respectively?

Replying to my own question - I must learn to check docs *before* asking:
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/config-setting.html>
> Some settings specify a memory or time value. Each of these has an
> implicit unit, which is either kilobytes, blocks (typically eight
> kilobytes), milliseconds, seconds, or minutes.

I was off by a factor of 1024 in how I read that.  The OP had specified 1.5
*GB* and 1 *GB* respectively!

--
Lew