Granting COPY FROM access

От Jim Cser
Тема Granting COPY FROM access
Дата
Список pgsql-general

>>> Chris <dmagick@gmail.com> 07/05/06 7:49 PM >>>
> Jim Cser wrote:
> [post header corrected, sorry]
>
> I have an application that uses ODBC to access a PostGreSQL 8.0.3
> database.  To load in text files (comma separated, with column
headers),
> I use the SQL statement COPY FROM, which requires me to be a
superuser.
> I don't need full superuser access, so I would like to restrict the
> permissions to only those necessary.  The GRANT doc says that INSERT
> privilege allows COPY FROM, so as a superuser I did something like
> "GRANT INSERT ON my_database TO regular_user".
>
> Unfortunately, when I login to my_database as regular_user, I don't
> have permission to do COPY FROM.  So, my question is:  can COPY FROM
> permission be granted to a non-superuser, or is there something else
> that I missed?

>Are you trying from a file or stdin? What error message do you get
when
>you try?

>pg_dump does it like this:

>COPY table (field1, field2) FROM stdin;
>1    1
>2    2
>\.

>maybe you can use that method instead of from a file?

>See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-copy.html in case
you
>haven't before.

As I mentioned above, I am loading CSV files, and yes, I do read
documentation. It all works just fine as a superuser, I just wanted to
know if the COPY permission is enabled with GRANT SELECT.  I'm sending
SQL statemens through ODBC, so the stdin or \copy options aren't quite
what I need.

This was the error message:
ERROR:  must be superuser to COPY to or from a file
HINT:  Anyone can COPY to stdout or from stdin. psql's \copy command
also works for anyone.

-Jim Cser