Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>  The use cases are covered as best they can be without better support from
> expected future SR features like heartbeats and XID loopback.

For what it's worth I think deferring these extra complications is a
very useful exercise. I would like to see a system that doesn't depend
on them for basic functionality. In particular I would like to see a
system that can be useful using purely WAL log shipping without
streaming replication at all.

I'm a bit unclear how the boolean proposal would solve things though.
Surely if you set the boolean to recovery-wins then when using
streaming replication with any non-idle master virtually every query
would be cancelled immediately as every HOT cleanup would cause a
snapshot conflict with even short-lived queires in the slave.

--
greg