Re: COPY Hacks (WAS: RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?)

От: Harald Fuchs
Тема: Re: COPY Hacks (WAS: RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?)
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

RE : RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?  (, )
 Re: RE : RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?  (Alex Turner, )
  COPY Hacks (WAS: RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?)  (Mischa, )
   Re: COPY Hacks (WAS: RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?)  ("Dave Held", )
   Re: COPY Hacks (WAS: RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?)  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: COPY Hacks (WAS: RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
   Re: COPY Hacks (WAS: RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?)  ("Greg Sabino Mullane", )
    Re: multi-line copy (was: Re: COPY Hacks)  (Mischa Sandberg, )
 Re: RE : RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?  ("Mohan, Ross", )
  Re: RE : RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application  (Steve Wampler, )
  Re: RE : RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this  (Rod Taylor, )
 Re: RE : RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?  ("Mohan, Ross", )
 Re: COPY Hacks (WAS: RE: Postgresql vs SQLserver for this application ?)  (Harald Fuchs, )

In article <>,
Mischa <> writes:

> This thread seems to be focusing in on COPY efficiency,
> I'd like to ask something I got no answer to, a few months ago.

> Using COPY ... FROM STDIN via the Perl DBI (DBD::Pg) interface,
> I accidentally strung together several \n-terminated input lines,
> and sent them to the server with a single "putline".

> To my (happy) surprise, I ended up with exactly that number of rows
> in the target table.

> Is this a bug? Is this fundamental to the protocol?

> Since it hasn't been documented (but then, "endcopy" isn't documented),
> I've been shy of investing in perf testing such mass copy calls.
> But, if it DOES work, it should be reducing the number of network
> roundtrips.

> So. Is it a feechur? Worth stress-testing? Could be VERY cool.

Using COPY from DBD::Pg _is_ documented - presumed you use DBD::Pg
version 1.41 released just today.