Re: [GENERAL] VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?

От George Neuner
Тема Re: [GENERAL] VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 16:14:23 +0200, "Klaus P. Pieper"
<kpi6288@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am aware that VSS is purely Windows, and your comment about VSS aware
>application is true. Backup programs / VM managers like Data Protection
>Manager trigger these applications to put the files into a safe state
>prior to the snapshot.

The standard snapshot mechanism suspends all processes while the
memory is saved.  The writable disk image swap occurs in the
hypervisor and is transparent to the VM.

Data Protection adds the ability to snapshot on demand for backups and
signal aware programs in the VM to save state before being suspended.
WRT shapshot integrity, I don't think the latter really adds much, but
YMMV.

George