Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum

От Gael Le Mignot
Тема Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum
Дата
Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hello Guillaume!

Sat, 09 Jul 2011 10:33:03 +0200, you wrote:

 > Hi,
 > On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 09:25 +0200, Gael Le Mignot wrote:
 >> [...]
 >> We are running  a PostgreSQL 8.4 database, with  two tables containing a
 >> lot (> 1 million) moderatly  small rows. It contains some btree indexes,
 >> and one of the two tables contains a gin full-text index.
 >>
 >> We noticed  that the  autovacuum process  tend to use  a lot  of memory,
 >> bumping the postgres process near 1Gb while it's running.
 >>

 > Well, it could be its own memory (see maintenance_work_mem), or shared
 > memory. So, it's hard to say if it's really an issue or not.

 > BTW, how much memory do you have on this server? what values are used
 > for shared_buffers and maintenance_work_mem?

maintenance_work_mem is at 16Mb, shared_buffers at 24Mb.

The server currently has  2Gb, we'll add more to it (it's  a VM), but we
would like to be able to make  an estimate on how much memory it'll need
for a  given rate of  INSERT into the  table, so we can  estimate future
costs.

 >> I looked in  the documentations, but I didn't find  the information : do
 >> you know  how to estimate the  memory required for the  autovacuum if we
 >> increase the number of rows ? Is it linear ? Logarithmic ?
 >>

 > It should use up to maintenance_work_mem. Depends on how much memory you
 > set on this parameter.

So, it shouldn't  depend on data size ? Is  there a fixed multiplicative
factor between maintenance_work_mem and the memory actually used ?

 >> Also, is  there a way  to reduce that  memory usage ?

 > Reduce maintenance_work_mem. Of course, if you do that, VACUUM could
 > take a lot longer to execute.

 >> Would running the autovacuum more frequently lower its memory usage ?
 >>

 > Yes.

Thanks, we'll try that.

Regards,

--
Gaël Le Mignot - gael@pilotsystems.net
Pilot Systems - 9, rue Desargues - 75011 Paris

Сообщение: Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum
Сообщение: Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum