Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum

От Gael Le Mignot
Тема Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hello Guillaume!

Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:06:16 +0200, you wrote:

 > On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 11:00 +0200, Gael Le Mignot wrote:
 >> Hello Guillaume!
 >>
 >> Sat, 09 Jul 2011 10:53:14 +0200, you wrote:
 >>
 >> > I don't quite understand how you can get up to 1GB used by your process.
 >> > According to your configuration, and unless I'm wrong, it shouldn't take
 >> > more than 40MB. Perhaps a bit more, but not 1GB. So, how did you find
 >> > this number?
 >>
 >> Looking at  "top" we  saw the postgres  process growing and  growing and
 >> then shrinking  back, and doing  a "select * from  pg_stat_activity;" in
 >> parallel of the growing we found only the "vacuum analyze" query running.
 >>

 > There is not only one postgres process. So you first need to be sure
 > that it's the one that executes the autovacuum.

Shouldn't "pg_stat_activity" contain the current jobs of all the processes ?

 >> But maybe  we drawn the conclusion  too quickly, I'll  try disabling the
 >> auto vacuum to see if we really get rid of the problem doing it.
 >>

 > Disabling the autovacuum is usually a bad idea. You'll have to execute
 > VACUUM/ANALYZE via cron, which could get hard to configure.

Oh, yes, sure, I meant as a test  to know if it's the vacuum or not, not
to definitely disable it.

 > BTW, what's your PostgreSQL release? I assume at least 8.3 since you're
 > using FTS?

It's 8.4 from Debian Squeeze.

--
Gaël Le Mignot - gael@pilotsystems.net
Pilot Systems - 9, rue Desargues - 75011 Paris

Сообщение: Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum
Сообщение: Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum